Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whey to acidify soil?

Posted by BegoniaRob 8B/9A (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 15:49

GardenWeb folks,

My girlfriend has started making cheese as a result has a bit of whey. Now, I know that whey is not compostible because it will over acidify everything. However, I recently planted blueberries, which like a more acid soil. Can I use the whey? How about diluted whey?

Thanks,
Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whey to acidify soil?

Effect, if any, will be very brief in soil. Use it to make bread or other cooking.

o
RE: Whey to acidify soil? - more

A search for "pH of whey" (without quotes) reveals that whey isn't all that acid in the first place.

You might try a different search -- "uses of whey" (again, without quotes).

o

Just because something is acidic doesn't mean it is a good long term way to acidify soil. Use sulfur.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 15:31

I'm not sure why whey can't be composted. I would think that it is mainly water, with some protein in solution. Have you tried to compost it?

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 16:44

Seems to me that whey would have some good-guy bacteria and nutrients that would actually inoculate/boost your compost. I would add some browns (paper, etc) at the same time to keep things balanced. Like all things, start out slowly and analyze results.

o

In the cheesemaking class, they said not to put the whey on plants because it is so acidic it would sterilize the soil. So, I think putting it in compost would overly acidify the compost making it inert.

o

Wow,I'd like to see what the pH of that is.Sounds more acidic than battery acid.If it is,then it could probably be diluted. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here