Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabaceae_native

Botanic gardens with emphasis on fruits...

fabaceae_native
11 years ago

I recently revisited Rio Grande Botanic Gardens, part of Albuquerque Biopark. This place is really special, being set in a section of the largest cottonwood bosque in the world, and featuring beautiful wetlands and native plants.

It is also rather unique in having a large (maybe 15 acres?) Heritage Farm at it's back. Along with 1920's period farm buildings, there are gorgeous vegetable gardens, a vineyard, and orchards.

I just love botanic gardens anyway, just to see the diversity of plants. But I do wish more of them aimed for more than an ORNAMENTAL purpose though. This one surely does, and it's wonderful to walk the orchard and see almond, apricot, peach, pear, plum, apple, jujube, pomegranate, and persimmon trees. It really gives you an idea of what is possible, and what a beautiful old time farm along the Rio Grande might have looked like.

Oh, and by the way, the fruits and vegetables are served in the nearby Aquarium restaurant and to the animals at the Zoo that is also part of the Biopark. Has anyone else seen anything this extensive at a botanic garden?

Comments (4)