Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryhawkins99

jujubee's korea

maryhawkins99
10 years ago

One of my wifes high school friends planted 15,000 jujube trees 30 years ago, & gave me a tour of the farm. Location is Miryang, north of Pusan 60-80 miles. Everyone in Korea told me Miryang jujube's are the best. I missed the Jujube festival by 1 day!

All 15,000 trees are of 1 type of jujube. In fact, all of Miryang produces just 1 type of jujube. Most are sold dried. Harvest had already occurred but I found 1 fresh & 2 dried jujube's; looked like Li's.

The farmers knew no English, I know no Korean. I was surprised by some of the things they told me, but we tried! Spacing is supposed to be 5 meters X 5 meters; though I walked between a dozen trees, & they were 10 ftX10ft;maybe the strategy changed over time? There is unused land, but as they couldn't get irrigation to that slope jujube production had been poor (?) (I looked up rainfall on the web; typically 54", mostly May-Sept. Avg low temp in Jan is 21 deg F, avg high is 88 deg F in Aug). They use an oven for drying, 50 deg C for 48 hours.

Pruning: trees are kept about 10 ft tall. Most twigs/small limbs are removed after havest. When growth occurs in spring the "twigs" come out in groups of 3; middle one is removed. Sounds like lots of work! Wish I knew Korean, I'm confused by all this.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH