Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windfall_rob

flowering crab suckers...?'s as rootstock

windfall_rob
11 years ago

There was a beautiful large flowering crab on the property when we moved in. Red flowers, small red fruit all winter, darkgreen leaves with a red/bronze cast....pretty "standard". we liked it , the birds loved it, I used it to park some scion from excellent feral trees that I had brought from another location.

the tree came down about 3-4 years ago in a windstorm. One rootsucker appeared the next spring about 15' away. same leaf color and "spiky" growth habit...lots of short thin almost thorn like growth. I grafted it over this spring and it seems to be doing well. Although it tried like crazy at first to sprout below the grafts until they finally got going...tons of small red adventitious buds. more so than any other work I have done.

Today I noticed another sucker has come up 15' in the other direction (30' from the first one), just a tiny 2' whip....again same leaf color. I suppose it could be a seedling. These are the only two sucker it tried to throw since coming down.

Anyway it has made me realize I know precious little about crabs. What rootstocks are used in their propagation or if they are commonly grown out from seed(seems unlikely for consistent nursery stock).

Assuming a rootstock...what gets used? Any insights into how it might effect culinary trees placed over it?

Comments (3)