Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which kakis to avoid to avoid seed/male flowers?

Posted by cousinfloyd NC 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 16:37

I was just reading in the other thread about the suspicion that Jiro leads to seed development in other nearby Asian persimmons. What other varieties should I avoid (or isolate) if I want to avoid seeded fruit? I'd be particularly curious about Hana Fuyu, Wase Fuyu, 20th century, Sheng, Smith's Best, Kyungsun Ban si, Giombo, Saijo, Izu, Tecumseh, Gwang Yang, Tam Kam... Any of those known to produce male flowers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which kakis to avoid to avoid seed/male flowers?

I have 20th century grafted to Chocolate.. it produced all male flowers this year. I don't know if the stock had a role in that or not.

Persimmons do very strange things, just when I think I get it some other strange thing happens. This year a graft looked like it was going to die, the leaves all yellowed and crinkled, but then it decided it wanted to live after all and parts of it took off again.

Scott

o

I had a similar graft this year. I grafted Nikita's gift about 5' high on a wild volunteer. The graft pushed out some small new growth but then basically just sat there all year. There was maybe 1/2" of new shoot growth all of the leaves of which weren't more than 1-1/2" in diameter altogether. Then about early September it decided to take off and suddenly put on thick
new growth that grew about a foot. I think it was all too new and tender to survive even the freezes we've had so far, but I'm hoping I've still got some viable buds on the earlier growth.

o

Hanafuyu does produce some male blooms so can cause others to be seedy however I have never found over one or two seed in only a small percentage of the fruit. Jiro grown alone should be seedless. I like the very large size of hanafuyu so much that an occasional seed is not a bother though I know others may not agree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here