Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about shoots/growth from apple tree base

Posted by johnhubby GA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 16:38

I have two 8' dwarf apple trees that are about 5 years old. One is a gala and is a fuji. The gala has a TON of growth/shoots/small trees with leaves growing up from the root ball. I will attempt to post pictures. My questions is - what are they and what do I do? Leave them be? Replant them somewhere else (are they individual apple trees) ? Prune them off and clip them ? I just don't know what to do and don;t want them to hurt the tree. They are not weeds. They are coming from the same trunk/root ball.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about shoots/growth from apple tree base

Here is another picture. The tree is about 8' tall and the thick shoots growing up are about 2' to 3' tall.

o

Johnny, Those are from the rootstocks. You need to remove them ASAP. You just want the grafted varieties to thrive and not the rootstock.

o

Thanks! So, everything gets clipped off down to the ground except the trunk of the main tree? Would there be any point in clipping and replanting the rootstocks individually somewhere else? i'm new to all of this. Thanks for the response.

o

Only if you wanted to graft new scions to them, and this requires rooting them - they won't just start growing.

Best to take them off and keep taking them off when they regrow.

o

Thanks!

o

2 things here: First not what you asked: You need to prune the main trees. Rule of thumb is that on each branch cut off 1/3 of each years new growth. You do this before the next years buds open. (find out when is best in your areas I'm in Iowa) you can see where each year starts by what looks likes a junction, or some might compare it to how the skin looks on your knuckles. I won't go into the the why's and ect of pruning in this thread. You have some time to read up on that. But read here not the web in general.

Here is what you 'can' do on the suckers. Wait until pruning time, then take your time in getting those removed, dig around them with your fingers and see how much root you can get with it without scratching the main trunk or a large root . cut those off 4" above the ground line and replant them in a pot or in the ground. It will need very damp soil to start, but don't let it be waterlogged, that will drown it. So if you get one or more to retake you can bud graft in the fall from your trees or other apple tree in your area.

None of this is complicated and you have time to get your mind around it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here