Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries o.k. near cedar trees?

Posted by krikit Z7 TN (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 29, 08 at 16:39

I've tried to search on this but didn't find anything. I have lots of cedars on my property, and found out the hard way that serviceberry trees don't do well near a cedar. Today I moved the serviceberry further from the cedar in hopes that it will not get rust. Now I have a very nice, sunny planting spot about 20' from a large cedar. I say this is a nice planting spot because the soil has had the advantage of mulch breaking down over a few years that seems to have improved it greatly. I'd like to put a blueberry in this spot, but am wondering if they are susceptible to cedar rust. If so, can you recommend a fruiting tree or shrub that would not be bothered by the cedar tree? Thanks in advance.

Frances

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries o.k. near cedar trees?

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 29, 08 at 17:51

We have a 30 foot tall cedar tree next to our garage, and I have been growing blueberry shrubs within 5 feet for several years with little or no problem. I also have two shrubs that are located about 12 feet from the same tree, and they have been growing for 10 years. Every year I find a few blueberry leaves affected by rust, and I prune them off and put them in the compost pile. So far, this has not been a significant issue for me, I have more problems keeping these shrubs happily hydrated through the August drought.

o

Thanks for the info! - This is exactly what I needed to know :-)

Frances

o

Blueberries are not affected by cedar rusts, so that is not an issue. However, having lots of cedars in Tennessee means you likely have thin limey soils with neutral pH, which are very bad for growing blueberries. I would check the pH before planting. The years of mulch composting may have created a suitable soil, but if not, you may need to acidify the soil.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 17:41

If you have hard water, that results in lime deposits in your teakettle, it will be necessary to use rainwater on your blueberry shrubs, not tap water. We have hard water, our city wells draw water from the limestone formations that lie below southern Wisconsin. Every August I am out in the yard, running tap water into a bucket, and adding vinegar to lower the pH, before watering the blueberry shrubs.

o

Wow! I wish I'd found this link last spring! I made the assumption that cedars ACIDIFY the soil simply because they are evergreen and I have one growing happily with a couple of pines out back. I planted a little blueberry bush about 15ft from the other cedar and happily watered all summer with hard water straight from the tap and haven't been able to figure out why it died! Ithought maybe one of my small ones 'helped' and watered it with something noxious. I definately need to study things a little more in-depth even if this bush was an impulse purchase.

o

The bunnies around my place used to eat blueberry the twigs in the winter. The little buggers also like to hide under my low-growing juniper, beware. I had to resort to putting chicken wire around the blueberrys in the fall to stop the chewing varmints.

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 23, 08 at 5:20

How about planting blueberries close to a fir tree, and even using some of the fir tree branches to block the hot summer sun? Can I assume the ground around the fir tree(50+ years old) will be on the acid side...plenty of fir needles there.

o

I have an aunt that swears that i can mulch my blueberries with cedar bowes. I have never heard of this. I have heard that cedars droppings are toxic to plants. Any advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here