Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard Cider

Posted by LupusSublimis 9a (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 16:42

Does anyone have any experience making hard cider from their own orchard? If so, what are the best apple varieties in the southwest for hard cider? I plan to plant two Granny Smiths and already have a Cripps Pink and Cripps Red. I am considering scratching one Granny Smith and getting something like a Winter Banana or a Dorsett Golden.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard Cider

I'd think Newtown Pippin would be a good selection.
Golden Russet as well.

-Eric
----------------------------------------------------

o

I don't think either of those grow in the Phoenix (9a).

o

If you're speaking in terms of low chill, Newtown Pippin is relatively low chill Golden Russet is not.
Take a look at Anna and Williams Pride for other low chill varieties.

Newtown Pippin is worth growing for cider applications.
Martinelli's (California) uses Newtown Pippin in a majority of their juices and sparkling ciders as a majority of the apple blend.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 1:06

Tough question. AFAIK there are no cider apples that have been tested for the Southwest. They are all varieties originating from France and the UK, mild, moist temperate climates. They need their sour and bitter flavors to make cider. Cider with table apples is generally miserable, no matter how much oak chips and other gimmicks you use. I switched to wine eventually.

Around here (Michigan) Northern Spy and russet varieties are the best for hard cider using table apples. I will grind and press some NS drops Sunday for vinegar (probably 3 gallons all told). I suggest you look in the Kuffel Creek web site and let us all know what you found that is compatible with cider making.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here