Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this pruning method on fruit trees OK?

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 17:04

I have read that when pruning fruit trees (ours are dwarf) that the branches on the inside should be pruned so that the inside area is open to the sun. That would mean the main trunk should be cut back to let the side branches grow up & leave an open space in the middle. Does this sould correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this pruning method on fruit trees OK?

It certainly is a way to prune trees dwarf or otherwise. Dwarf and fruit tells me little. A dwarf cherry grows to 12 feet tall. You can also use pruning to control size. You could keep a peach tree to 5 feet tall for a non-dwarf. That's extreme, 8 feet would be better. But it's up to the pruner as to what size. Rootstock, dwarfing or otherwise matters little.

Anyway yes, you are pruning to an open center. It is an excellent way to prune. All my trees are pruned that way.
With dwarfs say a genetic dwarf peach, you don't have to, but it allows light, and air circulation. I probably would prune it that way. You can prune for a central leader, modified central leader, or open center. Advantages and disadvantages to each method. And the advantages and disadvantages vary with what fruit type. Other pruning methods exist too.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 17:54

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here