Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garrai81

Large Blueberries?

garrai81
9 years ago

The house we bought last year has one established blueberry plant, about 3-4 feet tall.

It produces large delicious berries.

I am trying to find a like blueberry plant (with large berries).

Can anyone recommend a variety like this?

Thanks.

Mac
Near Portland, OR

Comments (20)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

The biggest ones still are probably Chandler.Darrow is nearly there,as are Blueray and Spartan. Brady

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Not sure how well Chandler will do in your zone? Here is a photo of berries off of my Chandler bush to compare at least. My plant is only 2.5 feet tall, and 2 years old, berries may become bigger with age?? Not like they are small though!
    {{gwi:122475}}

• muscadines978
    9 years ago

These are all small compared to Titan Blueberries, developed by UGA. They are quarter size!!!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Titan would be a good choice for zone 8. My Chandler berries off a young plant, are not the best example of the cultivar. I would still go with titan, in zone 8, all the same here is web photo of chandler.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Here is Titan

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Have fun trying to get one right now.The only available Titan I found was almost $45 delivered.
    I'm in zone 8 and grow Chandler.The Portland/Seattle area can grow just about any kind of Blueberry. Brady

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Large blueberries may and may not taste the best. It depends on culture practice. We buy a lot of very large berries from the store, but the flavor is really plain, or blank, no taste.

Also, you can prune to yield larger berries. My old BlueRay and BlueJay produce very large berries.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

2nd photo looks like a child's hands, so it can make berries look bigger. I like using the quarter for scale as in 3rd photo.

Not sure why you want the biggest. Biggest usually don't taste best....

• garrai81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, these plants all seem to be large plants.

I think I mentioned in my post that I am looking for something that stays small, 3-4 feet.

Is there such a blueberry, with reasonably large berries?

Or should I just get a darrow (4-6 feet?) and prune it to stay small? Or get any one of them (Titan 6-8 - Spartan 5-6 - Chandler 5-7 - Darrow 4-6) and prune it to stay small?

I only have about three feet across of growing space.

Thanks.
    Mac

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

You may be able to find something that small, but they are inferior and won't set large berries as you dreant. The lowbush is small, but it sends out runners underground and can spread easily.

Plant blueberry in pots. Very easy and you can control size easily.

• Sal73-Ireland
    9 years ago

Try Patriot then, the one I have is quite small and the berries are larger then the other cultivars I have : Bluecrop, Elliot, Duke,Berkeley and Northland.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

OK, so Portland can grow anything. Well if I lived there, I probably would! OK, yes to me size doesn't matter. You want an excellent plant with great berries, many small plants exits that rock. The best is Sunshine Blue. Small plant, medium berries, prolific producer. It's a good looking plant too! The Brazelberries are fairly new cultivars, so taste is unknown to me. But these are beautiful low growing bushes with tremendous ornamental value. They used to be $35.00 , now Raintree Nursery has them for 20 bucks. Another compact plant with fantastic taste is Cara's Choice. It may have the largest berries of the small bushes.
    Another new cultivar that looks interesting and is small is Bountiful Blue Blueberry.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Okay Mac,I missed the part about the desire for size.I'm going to guess and say the other plant is a Northern Highbush.So along with Sal1973's suggestion,about the only other one that has fairly large berries in the half-high category(3-4 feet) is Chippewa.I have one and really like the fruit.
    If the other is a NH,and the added bush is planted reasonably close,then they will help cross pollinate each other. Brady

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I was not thinking of pollination Cara's Choice is considered a NHB, although it has wild, SHB, NHB, and rabbiteye in it's lineage. It's a very strange one! I have one, as the breeder says it's his favorite. He also helped release Legacy, Pink Lemonade, Razz, and many others.I have Legacy also.

• garrai81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for all the help.

I think my local nursery has the Patriot (none of the others).

Mac

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

All are available by mail order. Patriot grows 5-8 feet. It does produce very big berries. Sounds like a decent cultivar.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

You guys know OP has room for a 3' plant? I do not know what blueberry in his zone which is 3' size and grows very large berries.....

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

You guys know OP has room for a 3' plant?

Right why i pointed out the size of Patriot the OP saw at the nursery.

Not sure why you want the biggest. Biggest usually don't taste best....

I'm not sure I agree with that. Chandler tastes pretty good, and is the largest known blueberry, some claim to be bigger, I'm not sure? Like Titan may be bigger, but they don't claim to be the biggest, Chandler does..

2nd photo looks like a child's hands, so it can make berries look bigger.

Maybe but Chandler has the world record nonetheless.

Here is a link that might be useful: World record blueberry:Chandler

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 9:17

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

In Zone 8, the bush will always over-grow the 3' space....

Patriot is s 5' plant. I'm certain it will grow taller than that in zone 8...

Patriot Hybrid Blueberry Product Details
    Need Help? Call Us at 513-354-1492

Gurney's No Risk Guarantee

Botanical Name: Vaccinium corymbosum 'Patriot'; Family: Ericaceae

Height: 4 - 6 feet.

Spacing: 4 - 6 feet.

Depth: Plant at the same depth as in the nursery.

Spread: 5 feet.

Sun/Shade: Full sun.
    - See more at: http://www.gurneys.com/product/patriot_hybrid_blueberry/blueberry-plants#sthash.K6HJ0Xkn.dpuf

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

One Green World has an outlet store now in Portland.Plants can be ordered online or by phone and be picked up there.
    They have a fairly large selection of Blueberry bushes,including Chippewa and Northsky. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: One Green World

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations