Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Scion Source - USDA?

Posted by megamav 5a - NY (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 17:41

Has any small grower or home orchardist attempted to procure scion wood thru USDA?

According to the linked PDF below:

"The Plant Genetic Resources Unit (PGRU) at Geneva, New York is responsible for the acquisition, maintenance, evaluation, characterization and distribution of apple, cold hardy grape and tart cherry germplasm. This wide array of genetic diversity is available without charge (unless there are special shipping requirements) to any bona fide plant scientist or plant propagator. Because of operational constraints, only limited quantities of each accession can be distributed."

What classifies someone as a bona fide plant propagator?

USDA Geneva Scion Catalog (PDF)

-Eric
----------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Scion Source - USDA?

megamav, you just have to fill out the order form with your selections and explain to them that you will use it for propagation purposes. All you have to do is paid for postage.

o

Also don't ask for varieties you can get elsewhere. Each of the USDA germplasm sites has their own somewhat different response to orders from amateurs. Davis has been overwhelmed with orders and they have changed the language on their website recently to try to discourage orders from non-researchers. I requested a couple kiwis from them last year and they did not fill the order.

Scott

o

Did they reply with a rejection letter Scott?
Mine is in the mail box, says in the notes field: "For private grafting and observation."

-Eric
----------------------------------------------------

o

Scott-

How are they about getting budwood?

o

Eric, I just didn't get anything.

Frank, the apple folks at Geneva were pretty good about shipping budwood. My last order of any kind of apple wood from them was about ten years ago so I don't know if their policies have changed recently. I don't know about peach etc budwood from the other sites.

Scott

o

Scott,

Wouldnt surprise me if I dont get scion wood.
I figured why not try it to see if they will fulfill a rare variety.
I'll just place an order with Maple Valley for those 3 scions as a backup.
I'll contact you about Freyberg in February.

What I ordered thru USDA Geneva:

King of The Pippins
Belle de Boskoop
Calville Blanc d'Hiver

They're not impossible to find on the internet, but not commercially common either.
If they show up at my door I'll report back on it.

-Eric

o

It worked, more on what came in the package on my blog.
Package came today, USPS Priority Mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: FruitGardener: Scion wood came in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here