Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmons in a Pot - what rootstock is best?

Posted by mk-in-ohio 5b/new 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 18:09

I am pretty sure that I will be using the last spot on the south side of my house for a Nikita's Gift persimmon this spring. I would like to have one non-astringent but in my area I would have to provide winter protection.

I am wondering - if I chose a dwarf variety like Izu or Ichi, could I grow one in a very large pot? Would it have a sigificant amount of fruit? I could leave the pot in my garage during the coldest part of winter.

I was going to purchase the Nikita's Gift from Burnt Ridge. They also have Izu, but their Asians are on kaki rootstock. Could that work in a pot with the long tap root, or would I be better off with lotus or virginiana?

Any advice is very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmons in a Pot - what rootstock is best?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 18:37

My buddy had one in a pot this year and his fruit is just as big as mine in-ground. I think this is only the second year in the pot and already about 15 fruit. This was a Eureka from Womack's nursery. I've grown many other fruits in pots and rootstock has no affect that I can tell. Getting the soil mix in the pot right is more important. I've never used bigger than 15 gallon pot and it's worked fine. Eureka is a small tree even in the ground.

o

Try to buy your Asian persimmons with D.Virginiana rootstock for cold hardiness. One green world have Nikita s gift on D.V., Stark bros also have Asian persimmons on D.V., or Edible landscaping, or Just fruits&Exotics.

o

Thank you Fruitnut and Biomed - I was afraid kaki and d.v. might not work due to their long tap roots.

Fruitnut - interesting about the Eureka - 15 fruits the second year in the pot is impressive. Is it an early or late ripener?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 21:40

mk:

It's pretty late. I just picked mine and none are ripe yet. Hope they will ripen in the frige this winter. Our warm weather season is probably at least two months longer than yours. It's still 70F here right now but that's way warmer than normal. Supposed to get our first frost the next couple of days.

o

Sounds like it definitely wouldn't ripen here. Thanks for the good info, Fruitnut.

o

I am beginning to eat a moderate number of Asian persimmons from young trees in 25 gallon pots. I know at least some and probably most are on D. virginiana. Persimmons seem fairly tolerant as to cobbled-together potting soil (especially compared to such "fussy" trees as pawpaw). I use mostly ground pine bark and a little dolomite for Ca, Mg, and pH, sometimes with perlite, Sphagnum peat, or vermiculite. I do use a complete fertilizer though (citrus type, with iron and trace metals).

I like the light more-coarsely granular soil when I have to move the trees. I let them go a bit dry first and they are then not too heavy.

o

Gonebananas - Thanks for the potting mix info - hopefully by keeping the mix light I can successfully move the tree in and out of the garage.

Good to hear that persimmons with d.v. rootstock can survive in pots and actually fruit. What varieties do you have? Do you think I am better off with a dwarf variety like Izu? Also considered Matsumoto as it is early ripening, too, and supposed to be cold hardy and productive. I think it is a bigger tree, though.

o

I talked to One Green World today. All their persimmons are on d.v., even the Asians.

Just wanted to share that in case someone else had that question.

o

I've eaten fruit from many different selections in 25-gallon pots, native and Asian (even 10-15-gallon pots for natives, though they are not intended to stay in these).

Even the strong-growing "Matsumoto."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here