Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_rabbit

How many cubic feet in a 25 gallon pot?

bamboo_rabbit
12 years ago

Placing my BB order for myself and a friend (20 Jewels and 30 more sweet crisps) and he is going to grow his blueberries in 25 gallon pots. Does anyone know how many cubic feet of pine bark will fill a standard 25 gallon nursery pot?

Comments (16)

• jocelynpei
    12 years ago

If you are talking Imperial gallons, six and a quarter gallons in a cubic foot. If you are talking US gallons, take 8 tenths of that. So, 25 divided by 6.25 is the cubic feet for Imperial. Take point eight of that for US gallons. So 4 cubic feet for Imperial measure, 3.2 for US measure.

Jocelyn

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Those are HUGE pots. Must be similar in size to a whiskey barrel (1/2). If you are ordering pots that big, shipping is just insane (I had looked last year and then decided on 15 gallon pots).

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm.....the problem is the bags of pine fines are 2 cubic feet each and it will take far more than 1.5 bags to fill the pots. I must be missing something.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Franktank,

He already has the pots. They are pretty common here as some of the commercial Blueberry growers use them and when they switch to hilled rows thousands of the pots and half water barrels become available.

• jolj
    12 years ago

Plastic 30 or 55 gallon drums cut in half will do the same thing.
    I get them free, but some people sale used ones for $8.00-$10.00. Then you will need to cut them in half.

• marknmt
    12 years ago

I may be mistaken, but a cubic foot of water weighs 62.7 lbs, and a US gallon about 8 pounds, so there should be about 8 gallons of water to a cubic foot.

If you take Jocelyn's 6.25 Imperial gallons and divide by 0.8 you get 7.81 gallons to the cubic foot. So that works out to about 3.2 cubic feet to fill a 25 gallon pot. (Since a US gallon is smaller than an Imperial gallon it has to take more of them. Or am I confused?)

• franktank232
    12 years ago

That is good you have them. I remember shipping for me was more then the cost of the pots. The nice thing about nursery pots is they last a long time (thick plastic/uv protected).

Couldn't u just buy a few bags and fill a pot up and go from there? I've got 3 young kids and my brain is scrambled like an egg...too many numbers :) Why we never moved to the metric system is beyond me.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep we will fill a pot and see...I was just curious last night and figured it would be a easy answer. I will report back lol.

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

1 Cubic Foot = 7.48051948 Gallons [US, Fluid]

You are converting
    From
    gallon [US dry]
    To
    cubic foot To

Result

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

3.8888 more nearly correct. Here is a link to a cool tool for all this kinda conversion... online comversion link; I use it so much, I would proly pay a subscription fee if they charged one.

Here is a link that might be useful: online conversion site.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As it turns out just 1.25 2 cf bags does fill them.

• Michael
    12 years ago

There are 2.34 cu. ft in 25 gallons, can't say how much pine bark it will take though.

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

The precise part of the answer is immaterial because 25 gallons is just the nominal size of the pot, not the exact size (this is similar to common pipe sizes).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

at the size of this project.. i would be looking for a dump truck load.. rather than bags ...

right now.. you are looking at about 2 bags per pot.. time 25 pots... or 50 bags .. yikes..

if they are 4 bucks a bag.. you might get a lot of media dumped in your driveway for 200 dollars ...

think outside the box you are already sitting in ... once you start thinking about the size of the project ...

ken

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Ken is right. The local place that sells rocks, woodchips, soil by the truckload is "dirt" cheap compared to going to a Menards and buying by bag. You can get a ton of rock for $20 or less. I know my brother had top soil delivered to his house and it wasn't bad (lot less then I expected)...

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You would think bulk wouuld be the way to go but.........

There is 27 cubic feet in a yard.

a 2 cf bag of pine fines from walmart is $2.65 a bag so $35.75 a yard. A yard of pine fines from the only spot that sells it is $30. Walmart is 5 miles from my house..the nursery that sells the pine fines is 30 miles. In my case the bulk is more expensive. I don't grow my BB in pots, I grow in the ground. The pots were for a friend that wanted an easier way to grow the blueberries.