Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Callery rootstock by black walnut

Posted by Noogy 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 18:13

Hi y'all,
I've moved to a new location and want to transplant my callery rootstock Hosuis nearby. I've read that the calleriana sp. is tolerant to juglone. I want it to thrive. What can I expect? Why have another limiting factor? I'm also itchin' to cut the damn thing down. If I want walnut I'll go down the road!
Noogy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Callery rootstock by black walnut

Cut is down and in about 10 to 15 years the juglone will be gone and you'll be good! Takes that long for the massive root system to rot.

o

• Posted by Noogy 6 sw mi (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 8:16

I might biostimulate the area by spraying dilute molasses over the rootzone and then watering it in before a rain.

o

Actually some say as little as a year and it will be gone. I think it depends on how fast the roots die. A good way is to kill the roots with roundup first. Although all parts of the tree produce juglone, the roots are what usually remain so killing them first makes sense. I hate to kill any trees though. I'm glad I'm not faced with such an issue.
If you have an objection to using roundup, any other way to take out the roots would work. Even if you do nothing, my statement is probably way off. It seems it depends on environmental conditions on how much the juglone expresses itself. And who knows what to believe? I have heard 15 years to one year, so the jury is still out on this one.

o

• Posted by Noogy 6 sw mi (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 8:38

I'll be hookng up the 3" caliper seedlings to a chain and pulling them out by truck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here