Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmon seeds

Posted by napapen ca 15 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 18:18

I usually find one or two fruits have seeds in them. However this year it is probably about 10%. I have one fruit that looks like a cross between the two trees I have. If luckily it has seeds, I plan to plant them. Does anyone have experience with seedlings and crosses between two.

Thanks Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmon seeds

Napapen, This is the way you get a new hybrids. They have been doing crosses like this in China for thousand of years.

o

Penny, you can't tell by the fruit whether it is a cross or not, the fruit is all from the mother's DNA. Still, most persimmon seeds are from cross-pollination since most persimmon varieties produce no male flowers.

Scott

o

Is it possible that really infrequent seeds in persimmons about through parthenogenesis -- if I even understand the word correctly -- i.e. without any pollen/pollination at all?

o

"really infrequent seeds in persimmons"... I have eaten many persimmons with full of seeds... In fact, the sweetest and most flavorful persimmon I have had is the seeded ones.

o

Sure, I would expect fully seeded fruits to come about from normal pollination, but it doesn't sound like napapen has a male tree, so it seems plausible that there isn't any pollinator within pollination distance at all. I suppose the other option is that there's a pollinator barely within pollination distance so that a few fruits are getting partially pollinated?

o

This is an aside from this topic, but of similar interest. In San Antonio TX I had a neighbor who planted giant sunflower next to his okra plants. He saved the seeds from his okra for the next year. These okra seeds grew okra plants about 15-20 feet tall. I believe that it was due to polination from the giant sunflower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here