Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

actinovate for fire blight? and question about susceptibility

davidrt28 (zone 7)
10 years ago

Hello Fruit & Orchard forum members. I'm less than 1 mile from the upper Chesapeake Bay and summer here is *humid*. Even when a cold front comes through pushing drier air in, it stays more humid in my garden than it would out in say, Frederick. When I bought this house 8 years ago there was a crabapple that would completely defoliate by mid-summer with either scab or fire blight, or both. I cut it down. Likewise, this summer, which was wetter than usual, something caused my green gage plum to completely defoliate by mid August...could have been peach leaf curl I suppose. I can't be sure in the case of that one: but I had a Sorbus get a serious case of what I _am_ sure was fire blight last summer; this summer, it did a little better but is clearly not a long-term ornamental here.

Point being the high humidity here makes these things even worse than they are in most of the mid-Atlantic. I'm surprised that when I search this forum I see very little discussion of actinovate. Anyone had success with it? I bought some in the spring but didn't get around to using it. I actually bought it to possibly control root rot on rhododendron, but wanted to investigate it further. Then a month ago I got an unsolicited endorsement from a surprising source: a PNW wholesaler of plants who said it seemed to keep down foliar rots on Ericaeae there. How do plants get foliar spots in the cool, crisp PNW? When they are in hoop houses!

So, would like to know of your experiences with actinovate. Also, any general thoughts on resistant varieties? My Prunus mume has never gotten any kind of leaf disease here. (it has even produced some fruits but I've never tried one, they are small and hard) Are Asian Rosaceae generally less susceptible because they come from a more humid climate? Should I try an Asian plum variety instead of a European one? I am too lazy to spray, generally speaking...but wouldn't mind doing a once-yearly spray of actinovate if I'm already spraying certain ornamentals.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 18:29

Comments (9)