Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing dead trees

Posted by iammarcus 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 18:26

How long should someone wait to replant a similar fruit tree in a spot that held one that died. Does the cause of death have a large bearing on the timing? I assume if disease killed the tree you would wait quite a while before replacing plum with plum or other prunus species. What about those killed by rabbits, dear etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing dead trees

I replant in late winter. Container plant could be planted any time though best to avoid extreme cold or heat, especially if they are not already hardened off.

Rule of thumb for root disease is at least 1 yr. lying fallow OR plant dissimilar species (not from same family) right away. If you know what root pathogen killed it, then plant anything known not to be infected right away. If resistant rootstock known may be best to try it after a year.

For some diseases you may want to haul away and burn all mulch detritus layer surrounding tree. Pathogen and insects are known to overwinter in them. Can get a head start lowering their number. Some pests and diseases may be treatable by treating soil now.

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 21:11

o
RE: Replacing dead trees

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 21:23

If killed by rabbit or deer I'd wait just long enough to put in a fence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here