Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Septic and blackberries

Posted by Cath923 5b Canada (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 18:42

We are unfortunately having to have our whole septic system replaced within the next two weeks. I have moved masses of perennials but still have a row of beautiful blackberries growing a couple of feet from the side of the new drain field, which is totally eliminating my vegetable beds. My reading suggests that is not a good plant to have there so I feel I need to move them as well. Winter has not yet set in but temperatures are getting closer to freezing. Should I attempt to dig them up now or should I wait? Or should I leave the plants and layer them to start new and then remove them completely once I have replacements? Or just leave them alone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Septic and blackberries

Just leave them alone leave them there take look again after next season, sometime drain line over dry out soil. Blackberries die wet weather some drown in winter die when warm up because water kills roots.

o

Why, you worried about roots clogging drainage?

I have planted orchards in drainage fields and clients suffered no consequence after 10 years but where I live there are usually large trees with roots extended into drainage fields anyway.

o

We have to follow very stringent rules with our septic systems in this part of the world when we replace them. This means it is very expensive - $25,000 for a small house. So I don't want to allow anything to damage it! Since it is to the west of the berries and it appears they travel east when left to their own devices, I'm not too concerned about the roots. Just damage done by the contractors. Admittedly, these blackberries are weeds so will probably survive the experience!
Thanks for the advice, guys.

o

I agree they are likely to survive, but those 15,000 pound or more bobcats running over the ground compressing the soil is enough to kill anything.

I assume they are reasonably extensive. If you can wait until they are dormant then do so---IF you can dig into the ground at that time of year. Otherwise consider digging up and temporarily potting two or three pots worth of rhizomes (root cuttings) and get them overwintering in a garage as a security precaution to plant them in the spring if necessary.. Hopefully they won't be needed, but....

Preserving a chance GOOD blackberry already proven in your environment is a smart thing to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: root cuttings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here