Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to pick medlars?

Posted by fireweed22 none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 19:04

Any idea when exactly to pick medlars? I know they are brought indoors to blet, but unsure when to pick.
I have a book somewhere that explains it but if course can't find it at the moment.
Thanks for any tips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to pick medlars?

IMO - never ;-) Seriously, though. Mine pretty much blet on the tree. As long as they are full sized, brown in colour, a few have started dropping, they come off easily and give a little when pressed they'll blet after picking. Whether you decide it was worth harvesting them is another matter.
The picture was taken 2nd November 2010. The medlars shown were not yet dropping of their own accord. This year they are in much the same state but the leaves are only just turning.

o

Thanks. Well I'm really looking forward to the supposed "spicy applesauce"! I'm ready for my reality check however. Never understood why I bought 3 varieties.
I just picked them, they came off fairly easy, maybe should have waited more time but the weather forecast looks cold and wet.

Interestingly mine have an amazing red fall color while yours seem to go yellow. Any idea which variety you have?
I have royal, giant, and Nottingham I believe.

o

It's a fruit that takes a lot of processing to be useful. There are quite a few planted around here in the past 10 years but they remain a novelty--most of the fruit goes unharvested.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 2:11

I like them. Easy care. They taste good in my opinion. They seem more like a wild fruit, and therefore probably have more antioxidants and nutrition, in my estimation. You don't get too much fruit off of other trees in November, so I like them.
John S
PDX OR

o

fireweed22 - my medlar is Large Russian. The fruit is the size of a satsuma or tangerine. In a good year the yellow is beautiful and buttery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here