Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spunbondwarrior

Question for "Grafting Tool" users

spunbondwarrior
9 years ago

First, for those of you who are apple freaks, it was Henry Morton himself who taught me how to graft over 20 something years ago.
Ever since I never used anything more than a real sharp pocket knife and grafting wax and some white bandage type tape, and did quite nicely.
Those days are gone for me now as several years ago a moron passed a school bus on a curve and among other charming reminders, left me now an exclusively right handed no longer predominantly left handed person without the fine motor coordination skills that anyone using razor sharp knives in close proximity to their digits should at all times have.

Regardless of that, and the advice from the neuro and physical therapy folks that I am as good as I am ever gonna get and should forget about returning to my "old ways", I am determined to start grafting again and over time fill our now empty pasture with all the varieties of all the kinds of fruits that will grow around here.

I am not looking for advice and/or comments on how much easier and simpler and whatever else grafting by hand may be, as the reality of the situation is that just ain't gonna happen round here no more...

What I am asking for is real world comments and advice and opinions from real world users of whatever kind of "Grafting Tool" devices that you might have or be using.

OK! All that too many words about not much at all being said, if you do indeed for whatever reason use any sort of modern day "Grafting Tool" for grafting especially apple but every other kind of fruits too, I would very much appreciate your thoughts and opinions of like and dislikes and whatever you might have to say about what you now or previously have used.

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• skyjs
    9 years ago

I assume we;'re talking whip and tongue. I just use a stiff knife for the outside cuts and a utility knife for the thinner inside cuts. Not specialized tools, but it works the best for me.
    John S
    PDX OR

• marknmt
    9 years ago

I haven't used any tools other than my knife, but I've been intrigued by some of the options. Here are a couple of links that might be a starting point for you. Good luck- it sounds like a real challenge for you!

https://www.google.com/search?q=chip+budding+grafting+tool&client=ubuntu&hs=EDO&channel=fs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5fdpVNDILdG8iQKDtoCICA&ved=0CCwQsAQ

http://www.forestrytools.com.au/index.php?id=25

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I've tried the Omega tool but don't use it because it requires the rootstock and scion to be the same diameter.

• rayrose
    9 years ago

I use a Swiss VG40561 Army Grafter knife and like it very much. It will make any kind of cut and also has a notched grafting blade. Instead of grafting wax, I use Spectricide pruning sealer. You just spray it on.
    For some grafts I use stretchable prewaxed grafting tape, and for others, just plain tape. You can buy all of these things on line and walmart has the Spectricide pruning sealer.

• MrClint
    9 years ago

I use a utility knife from the hardware store and parafilm grafting tape.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

I purchased the Plugger from Lee Valley a few years ago. I did not have success with it but I had never grafted before and was trying on a very mature pear on the main trunk. I have since learned that this is not what one should do. I have not tried using it since so I can't tell you if it will work on newer wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting with the Veritas® Plugger®

• andrew_swmo
    9 years ago

I've used this tool for bench grafting. It is similar to the Omega tool, about one fourth the price and accomplishes the same task. I think the Omega tool can also be used for budding but I do not own one to know for sure. I have about 90% success rate with this tool. I've also used it to graft on small branches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting tool

• Joleneakamama
    9 years ago

We were total newbies to grafting this year, and used an omega tool with the V cut on our grafts, and wrapped them with parafilm. We had 13 out of 15 grow, and suspect the other two we didn't need, and removed early in the game, would have grown as well.

I think it would be easier on larger diameter stock, but the grafts all grew very well.
    If you do get the omega tool, you may want to remove the locking loop on the handle before using it, as it tends to get in the way.

Glad you are getting back to grafting.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear your troubles. Yes, a sharp knife is still the best grafting tool. But I think it is a great idea for you to try a grafting tool. Likely frustrating as you kill a lot of rootstock at first, but soon you will be that tool's posterboy, as I am sure they work. You may be limited in the types of grafting any tool will support. Let us know what you decide and how it turned out so that others may be similarly inspired.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

I use several types of knives and tools. If your going to try a grafting tool you might consider the standard grafting tool. These tools are as good as I've found for grafting. http://www.garrettwade.com/professional-italian-grafting-tools/p/45T01.15/#CRC

• murkwell
    9 years ago

I started with an omega grafting tool and I was very happy with the hit rate. I used it scion and host were the same diameter on apples plums and pears with maybe 80% success when I barely knew what I was doing. The cheaper version seems like it would work just as well as long as the wood isn't too thick or hard.

After switching to a grafting knife I'd never go back to that tool, but that doesn't mean that the tool isn't useful. My biggest gripe was that the blades didn't come very sharp and didn't seem easy to sharpen.

I've seen bench mounted tools with similar principal but better constructed that do seem useful when bench grafting more than a few trees.

I'd steer clear of the pencil sharpener thing. That looks like a bad idea both for graft integrity and limited cambium contact.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

I'm glad that I caught on this thread. I think it is great to have a good quality tool if you are going to do it on a regular basis, and the rootstock and scion wood are the same size.

We still need graft blade for other grafting situations....

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

I've used the Omega to graft figs. Works great, the scion & host need to be similar diameter though. Considering you don't want to fiddle with blades it might be worth a shot....