Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mowing everbearing raspberries to the ground?

Posted by fireweed22 none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 19:35

Seems to me somewhere I read that if you mow the entire row of everbearing raspberries to the ground they will act like summer bearing? Any idea if that is true?

Or will I still get berries? Half, more or less?

I have tons, and willing to lose 'some' production to simplify fall maintenance and weeding. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mowing everbearing raspberries to the ground?

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 19:59

If you mow a summer bearing crop to the ground in the fall you you will get no crop on new canes that come up in the spring.

If you mow everbearing raspberries to the ground you will get a fall crop on new canes that come up in the spring.

So no, they will not act like summer bearing in their crop, although the growth might be similar.

Yes you will still get berries.

If you have lots, try them both ways and see what you like better. It will probably be cleaner and simpler to do the mowing but you will sacrifice early fruit.

o

Mowing never worked well for me with my Heritage berries because if reduces the vigor of the plants, maybe because the weeds become so difficult to control. Cornell used to recommend it so if you can control the weeds it might work.

I hope if you try it you keep a part of the patch the old way and let us know how methods compare.

o

We mowed our Heritage to the ground this spring and the new canes did not bear this fall--first time this has happened. However, I did something dumb: I used glyphosate to thin out some excessive plants and some residue, of course, hit the good plants. We mulched the planting with wood chips and everything looked really good--but bloom and fruit was too late. Hope maybe this non-bearing year will disrupt SWD if there were any. Normally, we do not mow in the spring, and the one other time we tried mowing in spring yielded poor results.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 9:24

I cut down our raspberry bed, everbearing red, in the fall, leaving 10 inch stubs. I weed as necessary, and then I mulch the bed with 6 or 8 inches of shredded leaves and/or compost. The reason for leaving the raspberry cane stubs is so I can see where they are, and not step on them. Every spring, without fail, this bed greens up and takes off, with three foot canes by June, up to four feet by July. It begins to flower in June, and the first ripe fruit appears in late July. Fruiting continues through October. This location has morning sun and afternoon shade.

o

Thank you. I like the idea of mowing down just half the stand, and by the book the remainder. If happy with the mowing results I will continue that route. I do expect a later crop, maybe an issue here with early frosts. One way to find out.

o

I may use round-up, shielding the raspberries and spraying everything else. Depending on the size of the plant I may cover it with a 5 gal bucket or use a large sheet of cardboard. The cardboard works best with an assistant, I've used this method with tomatoes, eggplant and peppers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here