Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegood_gw

Antonovka Apple tree

beegood_gw
14 years ago

I had an apple grafted to Antonavka rootsock but the graft did not make it. The other half is growing. Has any one ever tried to grow these into apple trees. Was speaking to a lady at a nursery in Surrey BC and she said to just grow it on. You will have a nice apple tree. They certainly sound hardy enough. But I was wondering if anyone has done this.

Comments (13)

• Axel
    14 years ago

Antonovka happens to be a relatively stable type of apple, in other words, seedlngs are quite similar to the parent. However, it's still a seedling, you could get a great antonovka, or you could get a mediocre one. There are a number of antonovka selections that have been made, but it's never really become a popular apple because it's not the best table apple, it's more of a processing apple.

I've never tried one, I've seen pictures and descriptions, none of which sounded all that appealing.

• olga_6b
    14 years ago

Antonovka is my favorite apple, but I am from Eastern Europe and Antonovaka is VERY popular apple there. When fully ripe it is good for fresh eating and axel is right that it is very good for processing. In fact I believe that apple pie with Antonovka is far superior to any other. It has a very special flavor and certain acidity that compliments sweetness. When not fully ripe it can be sour, it has to be yellow, not green for fresh eating.
    I never tried to grow it here in MD climate, but I did grow many of them in the past and I miss them a lot. To me Antonovka is the simbol of good apple.
    Olga

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks I think I will let it grow and see what happens. I thought since it was rootsock for another apple it wouldn't be a seedling but an Antonovka. It certainly sounds hardy enough.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Antonovka is not (at least at this point) a single cultivar but rather a collection of related types, sometimes even including seedlings. Most are produced vegetatively, but to identify a specific cultivar, you'd have to have a more specific name. Examples of Antonovka cultivars include 'Antonovka Kamenichka', 'Antonovka Obyknovennaja', 'Antonovka Polutorafuntonaja', and 'Antonovka Zheltinaja'.

• briergardener_gw
    14 years ago

Like Olga, i am from Eastern Europe where Antonavka is considered as one of great apples. Smell of ripe Antonovka fruits in October is unforgatable.
    But i have tried here an apple from a tree that was supposed to be a rootstock and i did not like it. Possible cultivar of that rootstock was not the same as we had in Eastern Europe.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well looks like I may not get much out of this but no harm in trying. Will let it grow and see what happens.

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Perhaps you can find out from the nursery what exactly you have?

I top grafted some Antonovka scion this year...will see what I have, perhaps next year, I don't care if it's not good to eat,
    need something tart for my cider.

Konrad

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The nursery tag said Antonovka and on their site it just says Antonovka root stock.It's Derrys Orchard in Abbotsford.

• generator_00
    14 years ago

I have planted a few antonovka seedlings purchased from st lawrence nursery. I chose them because they are supposed to have a taproot which may help in drought and wind. How they taste is secondary to me. I mainly wanted a few hardy trees that I don't have to coddle. I planted them this spring so they are still quite a few years away from bearing apples. So far they have done ok.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Keep us updated on how they do. My root stock has survived -40 so hardiness is not a problem. And a lot of people like the taste so it sure is worth trying IMHO.

• generator_00
    14 years ago

beegood, I sure will if I'm still around when they set fruit. I heard it can take quite a while.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Dear. In that case I may not live long enuff either. I am in my 70s. But I plan on being around for a while yet .Best I put a big stake with it's name beside it so I don't forget why I ever planted it.!!

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

Anyone know the low temperature cutoff for the fruit buds?

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21