Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanngreen

Persimmon Damage from frost??

MeanNgreen
9 years ago

Hello
I just planted a Fuyu Persimmon from home depot about a week ago. Its a tall tree about 5-6 feet but very lanky and twigish(sounds right).

Last night it dipped from 65 degrees in day to 30 at night for about 5 hours. This morning the few leaves on it went from soft and green to faded green and crunchy. Think the leaves are done but will check again tomorrow. I expected leaves to fade to fall colors slowly and naturally fall off.

Could the tree have been damaged or killed in last nights frost?

Comments (20)

• fabaceae_native
    9 years ago

"Could the tree have been damaged or killed in last nights frost?"

Not the tree, but certainly the leaves, and possibly the tiniest twigs. I'm guessing it would take lower temps for a longer period to do in the whole tree in that situation, but it is certainly not uncommon for trees that are not hardened off to be killed by sudden severe cold, both in spring and fall. Once established, it is unlikely that your persimmon would be still growing vigorously at this time of the year, and so go through the usual fall colors, etc...

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Suggest you dig it up so that you can plant it farther from the fence.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yea fab. Hoping you're right that tree is gonna be fine and leaves are the only causality at this point. Do you winter protect persimmon?

Hi Jean. The fence is 4 foot do was hoping to shape tree to branch higher than fence and thought to maximize yard space that's why I placed there. Think that's a bad idea?

• fabaceae_native
    9 years ago

"Do you winter protect persimmon?"

I have yet to try oriental persimmon in the ground, and I would almost certainly need to protect in my climate to be successful. In your zone 8, there should not be any need, only the dangers we're talking about here with freak freezes.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are pictures today. Notice how leaves have wilted and dried.
    I can exchange tree at nursery but not sure if Im jumping the gun here. Does it seem fine and I should just wait it out or replace it?

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dried up

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

day before frost.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

today. (2 days after "before")

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Persimmon leaves and new growth in spring are very frost tender. Your tree is very likely fine. Only the leaves have been killed. If you scratch off outer bark and the cambium layer is brown then that area is dead but maybe not larger limbs.

• alexander3_gw
    9 years ago

The leaves on my 'Tam Kam' persimmon do the same thing every year after a frost or two. They just dry up and fall off.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you must not rule out transplant shock as a potential cause ... along with the temps ...

had it not been transplanted.. it might have been damaged by temps ... not to mention relocation shock ... etc ..

is this plant evergreen in your zone??? ..monrovia indicates its deciduous ... leaf damage in late fall from temps would be irrelevant .... see link

i would also immediately move it ... its already in shock.. get it set properly ... and it should be all settled in for spring

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

The diameter of the trunk of that tree may start to push against that fence some day. Fuyus are "evergreen" here...pretty certain they won't be evergreen there. May be well into the spring before you see leaf formation however. I hope you get enough heat units on the summer.

• harbin_gw
    9 years ago

Time to change a stake.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks all. When I look close at the leaves it seems that the stems have some life but the leaves them selfs aer 90 to 100 percent dried up. I would assume that the limbs are fine then. Only time will tell.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the fence is about a 1 and a half feet from truck. i assumed truck would not get thicker than a foot and as is should have room if it got even bigger.... I am hoping i can get even close to that level of maturity. :)

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

harbin is right, either properly stake the tree or (IMHO the best solution) don't stake it. But pull the worthless nursery stake.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it's seems to have outgrown the stake but it still so skinny yet tall (5') so I kept it for a bit more support little as it be. The graft at the base is pretty bent too. Should I get an 8' stake? Or nothing..
    Also there are a few spots where bark is open revealing tree center. Would it be wise to tape them with something or leave them alone?

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tree today

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bark issue. What should i do with this?

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the other area..