Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
codym17

romance series bush cherries

codym17
9 years ago

I decided that i am ready to order several cherry bush/trees from the romance series. Romeo, cp, julliette, and cupids. Does anyone know where i can order these for spring 2015 in the us? I called honeyberryusa after reading other threads but with no luck, would be 2016...Seems gurneys and o
thers only sell the romeo...

Comments (6)

• iowajer
    9 years ago

codym17;

I think of those you're interested in, only Crimson Passion and Romeo will be available in the US right now. I don't believe Juliet or Cupid have been released for US sale yet. (Nor Valentine, though it's not on your list anyway)

HoneyBerry might not have the Romeo ready until '16, but I bet you can get the CP's there. (I got a pair this spring)

Gurney's however does show having Romeo for $39.99 each, and with any $50 order you take off $25 so...

You've not mentioned Carmine Jewel, (and while not technically in the "Romance" series, I bet you'd be proud to own a couple) but HBUSA would have those as well.

I also see Mich Bulb has them (they call them Ruby Red Dwarf Pie Cherry, but in the details they refer to them as Carmine Jewel) for $12 ea. They also have a promotion of spend $40 and take $20 off. (My opinion is that unless they've sized them up a lot from what I got from them before, you'd be ahead to get CJ's from HBUSA. They'll set you back $19 for a 12-24" plant but it's well spent money. (That is if you want the CJ, which I know you've not listed as one of your choices)

So I think until they pass all the virus tests, etc., the only U of S bush cherries we can get will be CJ, CP & Romeo for now.

Anyway, good luck with your bush cherries!!!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

So I think until they pass all the virus tests, etc.,

MSU has been propagating the bushes for distrubution via Garden's Alive, so they long ago made it here. I think they started a couple years ago. Garden's Alive is affiliated with Henry Field's and Gurneys. I'm not sure they are still doing it, and maybe they just propagated a few. GA was helping pay for research on the cherries in return. They also have been working on potatoes together. MSU has been using Garden's Alive as a distributor for developed cultivars.

• northwoodswis4
    9 years ago

Many of us expected the release long before this, but we must just have patience, a gardening virtue. It will help build character. Meanwhile, appreciate Carmine Jewel, Romeo, and Crimson Passion. The others remain forbidden fruit to tease us. Northwoodswis

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I know you keep up on the MSU stuff pretty close, have you heard any reason as to the hold up on the other varieties? Is it just propagation issues then?

No, I'm not sure? I do know they had all of them. One nursery in CO was selling Cupid. Not by mail order. locally. Last year I traded a Canadian user for a Romeo and a Cupid, but have since killed both. My fault for trying to grow them in a harsh environment. And the winter finished them off.
    I live 8 miles from Canada, it would be easy enougn to go get them, but never have.
    This year I got a black raspberry, and 2 blackberry cultivars from Canada.
    A yellow fruited black raspberry
    Burbank's White blackberry
    Nettlelton's creamy white blackberry

I will wait with all of us to get them again. The above are never coming here, well they probably exit in some seed bank, but who knows?
    A shame I had to go to Canada to get a cultivar of a very famous American breeder!

• codym17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information! I guess if i can get a cpl crimsion passions i will be happy, sounded like those and julliette are best for fresh eating, that is what im after. I would love to be able to grow bings as that is one of my favorite things to eat, but from my understanding those would not do well in z4, northern ia, even though you will find them at home depot. The jewels dont sound like they are very good fresh from the reviews ive read.