Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Oil and Lime Sulfur spray

milehighgirl
11 years ago

I have not sprayed for anything yet but I think it's about time I start. I have a bottle of Bonide Oil and Lime Sulfur spray that I bought two years ago. Is this what I should use?

I really am sorry for this post because I know the spray subject has been exhausted; I just can't weed through it all and make any sense.

From what I've read I will want to spray around Thanksgiving, New Years, and Valentine's Day with dormant oil. I have not had any disease issues yet except for a little fire blight on my Harry Master's Jersey, and of course, codling moth. (My dad had some peach leaf curl on a peach but so far I've been lucky). Being in a dry climate with harsh winters does have it's advantages.

The dormant oil spray will not take care of the aforementioned issues, so I will need to use a copper spray after petal fall as well.

Basically, is the stuff that I have what I should use? It's only a 16 oz bottle and I have 50 young fruit trees.

Thanks again.

Comments (4)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I'm going to use Bonide's Fung-onil which the main ingredient is Chlorothalonil,on my Nectarine and Plums/Apricot tree.The label states that it controls leaf spots,rust,blights,fruit rots,mildews,scab,molds and others.
    I did some reading about their Copper and more than one person reported that it is too weak to be effective against Peach Leaf Curl,but Fung-onil will work. Brady

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

I would just put down oil and lime sulphur just before the buds start popping out this spring. That is often all I do and your climate is much less disease ridden than mine.

Scott

• olpea
    11 years ago

Milehigh,

I agree w/ Scott. One oil spray at delayed dormant would be the most you'd need and I would only spray it if you've observed something you need to treat.

I typically don't see scale, any serious aphid attacks, pear psylla, or other small insects that need oil treatment. Sometimes I've used oil as a sticker for a dormant copper spray on peaches. I also use oil on pears before bud break to take care of pear blister mite, but other than that it's not needed here in the dormant season. I have sprayed it during the growing season to take care of some mites on apples, but that's not needed very often. We have plenty of insects here, just not that many that can be treated by oil.

I'm not sure what you plan to treat w/ copper at petal fall. If it's for fireblight, copper is generally used before bloom. Copper is sometimes used on peaches (in small doses) to reduce bacterial spot, but you probably don't see much of that in CO.

It sounds like the only problems you've observed are a little fireblight, and Codling moth, and possibly peach leaf curl. I'm not surprised.

For codling moth, an insecticide early in the season and later in the season will take care of both generations.

Since you've only experienced a little fireblight, I wouldn't do anything for it. I see a little fireblight in my pears all the time and never do anything about it. I've seen it kill a mature pear tree in the neighborhood and once it infected a Red Bartlett of mine so badly that I had to do some major pruning, but for me it's not been bad enough to justify any routine precautionary sprays.

You're really in a climate that doesn't have many disease or insect pests because there is no humidity and not all that much rain. It's been many years since I've been to Denver, but I was near Colorado Springs a few years ago. The air was so dry it hurt my sinuses. It was miserable air to breathe. I suspect Denver is the same. I can see why your state voted for cannabis. I'd probably smoke it too if I had to breathe that dry air constantly. It's a beautiful state and some nice folks, but I was glad to get out of that air. Bad to breathe but good for insect and disease control.

I'd count yourself lucky from an insect and disease stand point and just focus on keeping yourself warm this winter.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

olpea,

I think Colorado voted in cannabis because of the way the ballot was worded. It was so confusing! The wording was basically, "do you want to regulate pot the way cigarettes are regulated". I voted NO, but the ballot made it seem if you voted YES then you wanted it regulated as a controlled substance. Instead now it's legal. What a mess!

Well about the humidity, I've heard Colorado called the nose-picker state; the boogers are so dry you can't blow them out! One nice thing is that the summer nights are delightfully cool and fairly bug-free.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County