Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I snapped the trunk of my Flavor Delight Aprium

Posted by Steve357 Paradise,CA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 20:24

It has a trunk diameter of 1 and 3/4 inches, and has been in the ground 2 and a half years. It's been raining here and the ground is soft. It was leaning and I tried to straighten it up, I applied too much pressure and SNAP!!
It broke just above the graft union about 3/4 of the way through. I put it back together and tightly tied green nursery tape around it and the a layer of electrical tape over that. I am so mad at myself for breaking it!! I was expecting my first decent crop next spring. What do you think it's chances of survival are??

Thanks, Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I snapped the trunk of my Flavor Delight Aprium

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 21:05

If you stake it well it should be OK. I'd consider putting three long T posts around the tree. Tie a loop from each post and around the tree. That way it will be supported from all sides. It will probably grow and produce next year.

o

I have had many such breaks, remove all the fruit next season so the tree can heal over. Stressed Apricot trees can get fatal cankers. It is remarkable to see when the tape is removed. The scar disappears in a couple more seasons.

o

The wood is for strength, it is the cambium that keeps the tree alive. If the tree is less than 3/4 girdled I assume it will survive. I agree that you may be wise to remove the flowers as soon as they show next season and wait still one more year for fruit. The spot where it snapped will probably be stronger than ever by mid season if it didn't break because of an existing problem.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 10:18

I won't remove all the fruit. Just don't see the need for that extreme a measure. Just thin a lot and early. This variety sets way too much fruit. Get the excess off early, that's a good idea every year.

Also I'd support the tree for several years. It won't be stronger than ever next year. It might not even completely heal over. And the broken wood will not magically mend together. It's the wood that holds up the tree and it has to grow more structural wood.

o

Thanks for the advice guys. I will stake it today and do a lot of thinning in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here