Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olga_6b

Sea Buckthorn (Sea Berry)

olga_6b
13 years ago

Do you know any US or Canadian nursery which sells thornless sea buckthorn varieties?

Thank you very much.

Olga

Comments (21)

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

I would be interested to know also. I don't think there is anything in the retail nursery pipeline yet. You might try contacting one green world directly to see if they have any pending thornless offerings.

"Thornless" may be a relative term for seaberries, as even those varieties may have small or "soft" thorns.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. I understand. I have experience with regular sea buckthorn varieties, small or soft thorns are welcome :)
    Olga

• oklahawg
    13 years ago

Quite a few of the "edible" nurseries used to stock these. Russian varieties, I believe.

They are extremely invasive - I wound up cutting them out. The thorns were pretty substantial, and the fruit was gobbled up by birds before I could get to most of it.

The plants would send out runners, rooting their way through landscape timbers, even, and sending up new plants across my backyard.

Cool plant, and the fruit was interesting enough to continue growing. But, between the thorns (back into the bush while mowing the yard and it'd not be a fun experience) and the root/runners I had enough.

A much better option that is shrub-like, with interesting fruit, and maybe a bit exotic: goumi. My kids love 'em, eating them off of the bush.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oklahawg, thank you for recommendation. I do grow goumi, but actually am considering to showel prune it. I need space and even though guomi is a beautiful plant, fruits are not "edible" for my taste.
    I love sea berries taste, they make wonderfull juice and preserves. I know sea berries can be very invasive, but there are some varieties that don't produce suckers. I believe "one green world" sells some that don't spead.
    Olga

• dirtslinger2
    13 years ago

I believe www.ttseeds.com has them in Canada.

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

Thanks for that lead, dirtslinger. The ttseeds site does offer a vaguely described thornless female. No variety name. $29 for bundle of 5 bare root plants.

The buckthorn listing is in the "Misc" section.

• geo_7a
    13 years ago

From the sources I've seen, One Green World has the largest selection; in fact they have a new cultivar I'm considering. Right now I only have star of altai, which is doing well - I didn't have much luck, though, with the Buryatian (sp?) varieties.

As far as seedless, as I understand it, this is relatively new territory - I'd check either with OGW or Lee Reich for more insight.

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

It is easy to interchange "seedless" with "thornless", the original topic.

• geo_7a
    13 years ago

yes - oversight (shows where my thought was - on persimmons, not sea buckthorn)

• Tom DeCoste
    13 years ago

http://www.saskatoonfarm.com/ may have thorn-less (or nearly)sea buckthorn for sale. It seems from their website they may only ship to western Canada, but an email asking if they would ship elsewhere may result in a positive answer. I just posted an interesting video from Saskatoon Farm on my website. The farmer has been developing new varieties for may years and he describes his results.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Sea Buckthorn / Sea Berry Varieties in Development (Feb 17 post)

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

I would be a bit skeptical with these guy's..some years ago they promoted the evans [sour] cherry, to be a sweet cherry.

Do you know what sea buckthorn taste like? To my knowledge,..I have
    tried it, perhaps you know what choke cherry taste like, sea buckthorn
    taste about 10 X worse.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Don't get me wrong, it's still something you might want to grow if you're
    a health freak like me. Eating out of hand like this guy did is for advertising only I.M.O. the same with vitamin C content, he said, one berry equal 10 oranges... Bullsh...it!
    A quick Google search and found the buckthorn at a very high 400 mg
    /100gr berries. Oranges are about at 70mg /at 100 gram fruit.
    Do the math...100gr berries is about two handfull for 400mg vitamin.
    you need to eat about 5 oranges [less then 600 gr.] So, one berry
    has less Vitamin C then eating one orange.
    I stick with my oranges..LOL

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

Seaberry juice can be an acquired taste, but it mixes well with apricot, orange, and mango juices.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

SB berries just mixed sugar and refrigerated can be stored for long time and will give delicious syrup to add to pancakes, etc. I really love the taste.
    Olga

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

The taste and odor reminds me of both apricot (that I like) and cantaloupe (that I don't like). If sweetened and chilled just right, I do enjoy an entire glass of straight SB juice.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

There are different species, some a nastier then others, ..I must have tasted the worst one's?
    I didn't even know until a few day's ago that I brought home a bunch
    last fall from our annual fruit show and found them laying in the shed.
    These are the hornless German type, I'm trying to get some seedling of
    these.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Last year I blended some mountain ash berry juice into the apple
    juice,...[from the milder ones you can eat]. I had a jug freshly juiced for
    the public at our fruit show, it was a hit,.. awesome juice!
    In the future I will add Buckthorn.

This is a German link for Buckthorn, [Sanddorn]..lovely pictures and ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckthorn

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

Over-ripe seaberries taste bad, and a few bad berries in a quart will spoil the flavor. The best juice will be from a recent harvest or from frozen.

I've tried a couple of the boxed juices and they were more of a sludge that included some foliage and seed bits! Not nearly as good as my carefully extracted home-made juice.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

If you want Buckthorn fruit I will have thousands of berries to pick for free LOL if you want them for the fruit festval at Devonian

• edlincoln
    11 years ago

Is Sea Buckthorn considered invasive in North America?

I purchased some seeds because a government web sight recommended it for erosion control...it also listed it as native to Canada.

Since then some sources have listed it as an invasive species...

The trick is, for erosion control I kind of need something that suckers...