Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Can you plant apple and pear seeds right from the fruit

tlbean2004
9 years ago

Can you plant them without putting them in the fridge for several months first?

Comments (6)

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

Yes I add a little ash to their soil when I do that. I get a lot of sprouts that way. When I do that I plant them directly from the apple into the dirt without letting the seeds dry out.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

When I say a little ash I mean a very small amount (half a teaspoon or so) because it can hurt plants but I added it prior to the seeds germinating and never after that.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

You can this time of yr. Winter cold will sub for fridge only better.

I'm going to plant a bunch of stone fruit seeds soon.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Are you aware that apple and pear trees grown from seed do not run true to type? You could spend 5+ years growing a tree only to find that the fruit produced by it didn't tasted very good. I'm not trying to discourage you, but, for me, life is too short to invest my time in growing a fruit tree from seed that might not pan out.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kudzu9

Yes im aware of that.
    Im actually trying to grow a callery pear.
    Not for the fruit.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

tlbean,
    Callery pear are extremely vigorous to point of being considered invasive in many states. They are grown for pear rootstock by many nurseries but not typically from seed but rather from cuttings or divisions. The Bradford pear , aristocrat etc. are varieties of Callery pears. By growing them from seed you are growing a genetically different callery from the parent trees. Typically Callery breed close to true looking similar to the parent. I'm assuming you are growing them for grafting large pears to later. Keep in mind if you grow them from seed into a full sized tree without grafting them you may have many flowering pear sprouts popping up all over your property depending on your location. In Kansas we do not seem to have that problem at this time but in states that have a lot of rain they have a big problem with wild callery pears being a big problem. We have problems with elm, honeysuckle, and multiflora rose. The state actually plants many flowering pears along the highways in my area and I see some sprouts in certain fields but nothing like the aforementioned plants. Genetically different callery may someday change that as they adapt to our climate.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert