Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dennis1983

Peach trees getting ready for winter

dennis1983
12 years ago

Hi

I would like to know how your peach trees are hardening for winter? What is situation in your peach trees for winter? I meant do your peach trees have leaves still or have dropped some leaves or has it dropped all leaves yet?

Mine White Lady peach has 1 leaf i think, it didn't much leaves when i got it and i doubt it will have leaves this autumn, which is good thing i think beause winter is coming. Some leaves might have been dropped in shipping time, i don't know. Frost peach is in full leaf. It has not lost it leaves yet. It have same leaves which it got in summer. When peaches do drop their leafs?

I saw U.S.A. got snow last week in Maryland, New York, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania area. I have not got snow here yet. So i don't panic, but i am thinking of this... winter is coming in northern hemishphere. Now is november and days start to be darker. Day length is declining in other words. I think that should be put peaches to dormant. I meant plants should recognize darkening days and go dormant. We have not got cold nights lately, i think lowest was -2 celsius same what was in Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.A. in this autumn. So perhaps mine peaches have not got too cold yet. I thought i planted little late mine White Lady peach, but i think i got lucky that our weather has been quite warm after i planted peach tree, not many cold nights here. It has been now 4 weeks after i planted mine peach tree. I think it helps mine peach tree to harden for winter, i don't know but i think that way using common sense.

So tell us how your peach trees are getting ready for winter. You can also tell other parts just than leafs, but i think that will be obvious one because peaches drop leafs for winter. I just added more books to mine Books of peaches messages. Maybe here is some new people who haven't seen in it before. Those was not book but bulletins i put them there still. For some reason it didn't popped up here, but here is the link for it :

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg1223383911430.html

Comments (15)

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

Dennis, my peaches and nectarines still have their leaves. Actually most of my fruit trees still all have their leaves. Only my plums are really dropping leaves. My peaches and nectarines went through extra care this fall as I did have a few peach tree borers and had to kill them quickly, so the bark on the trees would heal before winter and it is healing. It is still 50 degrees F. here in Rhode Island and will be warm for yet another week or so. I have pulled the mulch away from my peach and nectarine trees for the winter. I do have wire mesh guards around the trunks, to keep out voles and rabbits. The trees are also staked with tripod pegs for stability. Our winters bring heavy wet snow and my five and six year old trees still need a little help! When do you get your first snow? Mrs. G

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

Dennis, my peach leaves are 80% dropped now. Its about time for my first dormant spray on them. The apples are still in full leaf, and we haven't had a hard freeze so the Pink Ladys are still hanging..

Scott

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi

I forgot to say that mine 2 pear trees have dropped all their leaves (Pyrus Communis).

MrsG47 Hi

Thanks of letting me know how your peaches are doing. It is good to hear some other too have leaves on peaches and i am not only one. 50 F temperature, in daily high temperature i think right? I think night should be colder at this time in Rhode Island. What size your peach trees are as you said you put tripod for them or was it for other fruit tree as you said old trees? Yes i know you got wet snow, that you got what i wrote in my message. Hopefully you didn't get too much damage. I think wet snow can be heavy can damage peach tree brances also it can knock out power out if it push too much power lines. Mine White Lady peach has now dropped it 1 leave and has no leaves now. I think it is now ready for winter, or as ready as it can be. Thanks for asking about when we get snow. I think we get usually snow in november or december. Snow that stays in the ground comes in december, sometimes january. First snow usually melt away before that snow comes which stays in ground.

Scottfsmith

O.K. you have almoust all peach leaf dropped. Good to know. Thanks of letting me to know that (You too). Dormant spray, what are you going to spray and for what? If i can ask.

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

Hi Dennis, I spray copper if I had bad disease problems the past year and lime-sulphur otherwise. I also use a lot of pine tar sticker to keep the chemical on through the rains.

I have been too busy putting up deer fence and have not yet sprayed, I am now officially behind on it. Also I injured my knee which makes it hard to carry a full backpack load up and down the hills.

Scott

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

Dennis it is still very warm here in RI, I use tri-pod braces for the trees, as I live on an island and we get a tremendous amount of wind, and hurricane weather in the fall. All of my trees are on semi-dwarf root stocks, and since they are only six years old they need support anyway. My orchard faces due south, and the wind direction right now is southerly. Northerly winds, however, blow most of the time. I cannot wait for the leaves to drop so I can begin spraying as well. Our winters are very hard to predict. Yes we get snow, freezing rain and miserable ice storms, but huge snow falls only happen sporadically. Regardless of how much snow, there is nothing like warm spring days!

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Scottfsmith hi

O.K. of information about spray.

MrsG47 hi

I like warm weather. Do your peach trees still have leaves? I think ice storms can make damage to peach trees, i don't know but i just think it. What you mean by saying regardless of how much snow, there is nothing like warm spring days? You don't like winter? I think those you mentioned ice storm and freezing rain is not so good i think for peach trees. I like warm weather.

• Michael
    12 years ago

Here in the extreme north of central KS, my Reliance leaves have turned color and would all blow off with a good wind, many have already fallen, many left to go. I tried putting my hand around the base of a few branches closing it and running it up to the branch tips, all the leaves easily came off each branch. Needless to say, the remaining leaves are ready to go very soon.

Some of the apple varieties are now changing color now, finally.

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

Dennis it is now the middle of Nov. in Rhode Island, and yes my peach and nectarine and apples and apricots all still have their leaves. Only one plum the green Bavay has lost its leave along with the Montmorency cherry. I am still waiting to rake and spray. The Italian plum still has leaves as well. Snow and winter mean I have to wait! Really don't like it much. Mrs. G

• jocelynpei
    12 years ago

Denis, I'm in PEI, at 46 degrees north. Most of the peach leaves are still green, although some are yellowing. A few have come off in the heavy wind we had last week, big storm. I have mine pegged too, with rope supporting them so the winter winds don't break them. We have had no snow here either, but some may come any day. It will not stay though, usually it melts quickly till about Christmas. After Christmas, it gets very cold by February, then March gets storms. April, it all melts and the grass gets green.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Michael357 hi

You said your Reliance peach tree has turned color. What color they changed to? I think mine peach leaved didn't change much color. Good to know what is situation there too.

MrsG47 hi

Thanks for update. Yes warm weather is good in my opinion too. Good to know your peach tree still have leaves. Mine Frost peach has still leaves.

Jocelynpei hi

O.K. of your weather information. Good to know you have too leaves on your peach tree.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MrsG47 hi

What is situation about your peach tree now? Do you still have leaves on peach tree? Mine zone 6 is average of 2008-2010 temperature, forgot to say that. My Frost peach tree have still leaves. It is quite late to have leafs now, i think. Winter is coming you know. It has not been very cold here yet, but days are quite dark now. Can you give update what is your peach tree situation now?

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

Hi Dennis! Finally the leaves are off the peach, but the white nectarine and apples still have leaves as does one plum. It is now December and we still have 50-60 degree days. It is dark here by 4:30pm. I miss the sunlight so much. My leaves have been raked under the trees, mulch as been back for quite a while. I cannot wait for February to try my new Felco loppers! I have many, many buds on the peach tree for next year. The peach and nectarine seem to grow the fastest. I will take pictures in the spring. I am starting to organize my spray schedule for spring, as it seems so complicated. My peach is now ready for winter, but I am not! Mrs. G

• Michael
    12 years ago

Dennis, sorry I forgot to get back to this post, can't remember what color(s) the leaves turned but do know it wasn't some shade of green. Seems it was some Fallish color, orange, yellow or some combination of the hues. I'd look on the ground but it's covered with snow.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MrsG47 hi

Yes i think leaves on peach tree is good thing. It protect peach tree from cold, when you don't have snow. Leaves in ground i meant. You mean your peach tree have many flower buds for next year? Hopefully they survive winter. Your zone is quite warm so that probably is not problem. Good your peach tree is now ready for winter. I think mine White Lady peach is ready for winter, but Frost is not because it have still leaves on it. It is not looking good as it is now so late.

Michael357 hi

No problem. Things like this happens.

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

Hi Dennis, the buds on my peach tree are for next spring. There are many! We have had a bit of wind the past few days and small frosts are finally beginning to appear on the grass. Winter is here! Mrs. G