Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_10

looking for an old apple variety

This story goes way back to my childhood. My father bought this old farm back in I think 1973( I was born in 1980), the farm house was extremely old and was torn down when he bought the place so I can assume the place was extremely old, there were several very old very large apple trees and out of 7 or 8 only one is remaining today. The one still standing has extremely hard very smooth shiny green and red apples which kind of turn a little yellow as they age in storage. They have no name that I am aware of but I am more interested in the varieties which have been lost. The only named variety that I can remember was yellow transparent. The variety I am interested in particular was a very spur almost thorny in growth habit and had blocky apples similar to the shape of a red delicious. They were from my memory(tree was cut down in 1994)dark green/brownish almost like a russet and hung on the tree into the freezing temps from November into December and kept for several months. After many years of internet searches I have found a few that look similar , they are cats head and ard cairn russet . Anyone growing them or know of a scion source?

Comments (2)