Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Grape Cuttings in Basement

I just cut down some dormant 1st year grape canes. I put them in a large pot and put the pot in my basement. The temperature is between 55 F to 60 F. I'm not sure if the cuttings just sit there, or the cuttings will grow roots?

The basement has filtered light, not sure if that matters.

I'm going to take more cuttings and put the pot inside. The temperature will be around 65 F with filtered sun light.

I would like the cuttings to grow roots, but not the top growth. I'm thinking of investing in a heat mat.....

Comments (10)

• Tony
    9 years ago

RedSun

Grape is the easiest vine to propagate. I usually cut a 13 inches of the dormant vine and find a spot and bury it about 6 inches in the soil. Next Spring you will have a new grape vine. Don't waste your time and money buying extra equipment to start a grape vine. Another easy way to propagate grape vine is to pull the vine to the ground and put a pile of soil on one section of the vine and a couple months later when roots form then cut it and plant it.

Tony

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

I think it may depend on what type of grape. I tried making a backup of some muscadines last fall/winter and none of them rooted. I later read that they only root well when actively growing.

I've accidentally rooted normal grapes when some wood-chips covered one of the vines. Later, when I uncovered it, there was an extensive root-system.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is table grape, like Concord or the like.

If I put the cuttings outside, they do nothing now. I just wonder if I can get a head start if I keep them in pots. So they can grow roots sooner.

I'm just not sure if the temp is high enough to trigger the root growth.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

You callus them off and wait until spring to pot/plant them. They won't pop out until the days get longer unless you grow them under grow lights in a greenhouse right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Grapes From Cuttings

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've read your link. I'm just not sure if I just store the cuttings in basement, or the cuttings are going to grow roots over winter....

I do not want top growth, but the roots. So I probably do not need light, but the heat.

• Tony
    9 years ago

The roots will not grow while in dormant stage. What is the hurry. We're not even begin Winter yet. The cuttings won't grow or root until adequate heat unit like in the Spring or a grow light with warm temp

Tony

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would like a heated greenhouse if I want to spend the $$$. Just want the things to grow, instead of sitting and waiting :-)

• bear_with_me
    9 years ago

I planted prunings in my vegetable garden, just stuck the prunings about 1 foot long, half way into the soil. I did that in Feb or March. No special treatment, just watered as normal for the vegetables. Those were from Interlaken and Price. They all grew, giving me nice vine starts about 1 foot of growth the first year. If I was more nurturing with them, I expect they would have done better.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe if you give them a heat mat and growing light, you can give the cuttings a head start, at least a couple of months.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

If you have the prunings you could just try it anyway. People are saying not to bother but you do seem to want to try it, so just give it a go with some of your cuttings and see what happens. There's nothing to lose by experimenting if you have plenty of material.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio