Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

How To Support Dwarf Apple Trees?

I have a little room for some dwarf apple trees, probably up to 15' large.

At local U-pick, they support the dwarf trees with posts and wires, just like a large grape vine. But my trees would be scattered in several places. Do we support the main trunk, or the branches?

Comments (10)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I support the main trunk just below the first branches or higher if there is a good tie off point. A T post pounded about 2ft into soil and positioned a few inches from the trunk has never failed to keep mine upright.

• Orchardman
    9 years ago

I been wondering about this myself.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Semi dwarf trees are about 15' tall.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I don't believe you need to support dwarf trees with wire if you prune it in one of the forms with short branches and use a length of electric conduit to support the trunk.

Short branches aren't created by stubbing them but by removing branches more than a third diameter of the trunk and leaving everything else. The lesser diametered branches fruit almost immediately and I believe there is a cycling in and out of branches but I don't manage any trees this way so am unsure of the details.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My local U pick trains the dwarf apple trees on a tall trellis, for better picking. I believe they get the trees very cheaply, so they went with the dwarf route as opposed to semi dwarf.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Most commercial growers are going with dwarfs these days, although the cost of trees adds up when you need double or more the quantity. Labor is hard to come by and expensive.

Labor in all aspects of management is greatly reduced with low growing trees that don't push out a lot of vegetative growth. Even commercial orchards have to pay a premium price for skilled pruners and it probably takes a third the time to prune an acre of dwarfs over semi-standard free standing trees.

Squirrels, coons and deer also prefer dwarfs, though.

• johnthecook
    9 years ago

Tall spindle dwarf trees. Easy to pick and you can train just about anyone to prune them. My free standing dwarf trees are much more of a pain to figure out pruning. And don't get me started on Liberty apple trees.

• Orchardman
    9 years ago

Does anyone have a photo or a link to a photo of dwarf trees supported I am thinking of doing this too.

• spartan-apple
    9 years ago

Orchardman:

U of MN has a listing thru their extension site about staking
    dwarf apples. They list 3 choices:

-individually stake each tree

-stake each with conduit but top of conduit
    must be fastened to a wire strung down
    tree row for support.

-run 2-3 wires down tree row and stake
    trees to the wire (almost like growing
    grapes).

I hope you can find this document on the internet. I have
    seen orchards in SW WI stake each tree with a metal fence
    stake.

Here in SE WI, we have several orchards growing apples
    on M9 or selection of M9 that grow their trees on wire.

• spartan-apple
    9 years ago

Greetings again:

Here is a second shot from another local orchard.