Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raspberries late in the season

Posted by jollyrd Richmond VA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 23:28

It is end of November, and our raspberry bushes are still producing berries. They are all red, and we thought we bought three different types of berries - only one of which was supposed to be late-fruiting, and one was supposed to be golden variety. but alas - all three bushes are red and all three are setting fruit in late November.

We have temps in low 40s - 50s, and night temps are 30s. I have not even fertilized them. I just put layers of old leaves to keep the weeds down.

Is this weird? Or normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raspberries late in the season

The nursery screwed up the order. Of course, if the berries still taste good then it is entirely up to you as to how you feel about it!

o

they taste good and are very red and juicy. we actually picked all three at the local nursery three years ago. The first two years they did not produce any or much at all. So this is a first year they are producing - and we enjoyed them, until I started to look at my notes and realized the mix up.

My question still stands -- is it normal for raspberries to produce this late in season in my area? (south of Richmond, VA). I just went outside and there are still 10-15 berries ready to eat and possibly more to come. Again, I did not fertilize them with anything; just a layer of composted leaves.

o

That doesn't sound unusual for a fall-bearing primocane variety. I'm a few hundred miles south of you, and my Heritage, Caroline, and Autumn Bliss plants ripened a light crop in late October and early November.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 15:29

Here in Madison, Wisconsin, our everbearing red raspberries generally produce fruit through the month of October. They will put up with a light frost, but once the night-time low drops to 25 degrees F, or so, they are done for the year. I'm not sure the variety, they might be Heritage.

o

my notes show that it was supposed to be Autumn, White Gold, and Heritage. So I wonder where the White Gold went? LOL

o

I got several berries from Autumn Bliss this month, which was unusual. They make their main crop on new canes in June-July here. But this year a few started making flower buds in September.

I really like this raspberry, even with a name that doesn't fit with my experience of when they make.

I also had the odd experience of getting a second small crop on one of my muscadine vines (variety Ison's). They bloomed again while the first grapes were ripening in July, and most of the "bonus" ones got ripe just before frost.

o

I've picked Heritage Raspberries all the way up to Christmas Day. It doesn't happen every year but it happens enough that I always have a few plants in the row. They rarely have much flavor earlier in the year (unless you cook them) but after the first frost they taste just like the raspberries up north. Heritage is more disease prone in my yard (Raleigh NC).

o

My Heritage plants were still producing into mid October, and I think if not for one very cold night, they would have kept going until a week or so ago. Sounds like this is normal, which is good news to me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here