bopha99

unidentified fruit from tree

bopha99
9 years ago

What is this fruit? It tastes sweet and is falling from a tree now

Comments (7)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Where's your location?The fruit looks like a Feijoa or it's other name,Pineapple Guava. Brady

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

It is Fejioa, this is time of year they fall off bush (or tree), meaning they are ripe. You can eat the skin but it's kind of thick. I usually spoon out pulp and compost skin. Oblong shape too!

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

These are best picked from the bush rather than allowing many to fall and bruise; if any squirrels or possums are around, they will chew them up.

Just bend the fruit sideways, and if it separates from the stem, it is ripe enough to bring indoors to finish ripening. Even wood-hard fruit will ripen off the bush if they have filled out to maximum size.

I would be curious to know your rough location; I would think more southerly fruit (California) would have all fallen by now. I just finished picking all of mine.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

How big was your harvest Larry?It seems to get bigger every year.
    I tried my first ones about three weeks ago when visiting Bill Merrill(aka the green garden guy)in Fremont,CA.Going there to get some Pawpaw fruit,we talked about others and that led to him showing me two Pineapple Guava in a far corner of the backyard.It seems that he doesn't pay much attention to them now.He let me collect a bunch that were on the ground and they were delicious.
    I also went to Emma Prusch Farm Park in San Jose and there are two or three good size ones there that people can pick.Feijoas were on the ground underneath the plants,but still firm and the ones still on the trees were very hard.I gathered a few off the ground and tried them periodically during the next week.Some were okay but didn't have the sweetness of Bill's fruit.The latter ones had somewhat of a light brown tinge inside and were a little bitter.I guess it could have been the cultivars.Bill made a video and said the plant of his that made the rounder shaped ones,which I tried,were better tasting than the more egg shaped that came from the plant along side. Brady

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

I like Pineapple Guava (Feijoa) as well (bite off the end and squeeze them out like toothpaste). Kids also like the petals, but adults don't seem to be able to taste them as sweet. Heck of a pretty flower too. Nice hedge for landscaping. Needs cross pollinator for good fruit production.

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Brady,

Interesting to hear some CA fruit is still hard and still on-bush.
    Last winter's temperatures here got just below the magic 15ð mark, so there were fewer blossoms and fruit this year, ~ 150 fruits ~ 20 pounds.

The fruit with brownish, somewhat leathery flesh is an odd, over-mature phase. The fruit looks normal but has lost its inner quality. I get those on my bush some years, but not this year.

I also have a report of "Mammoth" variety a few blocks away that has set large fruit this year.

• bopha99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To all,

Thanks for the responses and I'm sorry for the late response on my part. I live in Agoura Hills in Southern California. The fejioas have been falling off over the last 2 weeks and are still continuing to fall. They are pretty good!

I didn't know what to do with them so I cut them in half and am soaking them in vodka. I also added pineapple and oranges to the soak. Hopefully, should be pretty good!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner