Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolishpleasure

Southren Bush Blueberry

foolishpleasure
11 years ago

I live in 7B where the winter get very cold and we get freezing weather too. Among my Blueberry bushes are two southern Blueberry called Rabbit-eye Blueberry. They are new about 5 feet high and planted in pots. My question is Can the southern bush stand my winter like my Northern Bushes or I should take them inside.
Abe

Comments (9)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Hi Abe,
    Rabbiteye are a Southern climate plant,but can usually handle Zone 7 temperatures,which is suppose to be the coldest of their range.
    Were they yours awhile and what kind of Winters did they go through?Being in containers,they could also be moved in an unheated space,ideally 32-45 degrees F to get their needed chill hours,if the weather became too cold. Brady

• foolishpleasure
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brady
    Thank you for replying. Really I have no experience with Rabbit-eye which is a Southern Bush. I have the Northern Bush Blueberry which I leave outside. My woman wanted to surprise me and bought me these two bushes which are almost 6 feet. She does not know any thing about plants and climates. I planted them in 15 gallons pots because I was not sure if they can stand our climate. I have unheated garage attached to my house. Temperature range from freezing line to 40. I guess this will be a good place for them to spend the winter
    Abe

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

Do you know if they are different varieties? Brightwell and Tiftblue are the only ones I know of that are partially self fertile. Some of the new varieties may also be. Almost all Rabbiteyes need a pollinator for good fruit set.

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

Do you know if they are different varieties? Brightwell and Tiftblue are the only ones I know of that are partially self fertile. Some of the new varieties may also be. Almost all Rabbiteyes need a pollinator for good fruit set.

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

fp,
    I have both rabbiteye and Southern highbush type blueberries growing here in zone 6 - the rabbiteyes, in particular, are so much more productive than the northern highbush types that I grew in the past, that I no longer have many of the northern highbush types, and likely will not plant any more NHB.
    Mine are, however, planted in the ground, not in pots.

• bennylafleur
    11 years ago

Abe, I live in zone 6, have Rabbiteyes and Southern Highbush, both do very well for me.
    I believe that your plants should do well in your winter, as long as the roots do not freeze. If I have any in pots, I bury the pot in my garden for the winter, then take them out in the spring.
    One winter I left some pots out, and they all died. None have died that were buried.

Benny

• foolishpleasure
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I have to take it in the Garage When it gets freezing Today December 3rd it was 70 degrees LOL. As for Pollination I was told I have to have a pollinator but find out what I have could do the Job I have Duke, Blue-crop, Honey Blueberry and sweet heart but I think they has to be in close proximity so the bees or the wind can do the job.
    Abe

• jimfnc
    11 years ago

I have each of the varieties you mentioned in the ground, and live in NC in a border area between 7a and 7b. All have done well. Also agree on someone elses comment of losing plants left in plastic pots over winter.
    With those varieties, you should be fine on pollination.

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

Northern High bush will not pollinate rabbiteyes and neither will Southern High bush. You have to have at least 2 different varieties of Rabbiteye for pollination and three is even better.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists