Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves browning and dropping early

Posted by yawiney (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 23:38

My Figs, Fuyu/Jiro Persimmon, and Mulberry all browned up about a week ago. Others in the area (mature ones) still either have leaves in the case of the fig, or are turning fall colors in the persimmon case.
My place is low lying and does get a bit colder, but I am hoping this is just because this is their first year. Of the Figs that did fruit, most did not ripen.
This did happen after the first frost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves browning and dropping early

It is called Fall. Especially first and second year...they were either reared in greenhouses or someplace different form your climate. Irritating but one hopes they grow out of it.

o

Unfortunately your post gives no clue as to your location. Here in summer dry California, those fruits dry farmed are indeed going into early dormancy. This has been the driest year to date in history, and I think that is the reason for the early dormancy. Al

o

Thanks to u both. I am in the north Bay area. Sebastopol. And yes, crazy dry but mature figs and perssimons that iv'e seen around here look like more gradual change. Not all brown and losing fruit. Hopefully it's just the combo of them being young and the dryer/colder climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here