Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggest a Northern High Bush Blueberry?

Posted by lsoh 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 23:40

I'm looking for another Northern High Bush Blueberry.

I live in northern Ohio, zone 5. I'm looking for a northern high bush blueberry for fresh eating that ripens between blue crop and aurora. (My blue crop finishes around 8/3. My Aurora hasn't fruited yet but I'm guessing it will start around the beginning of September.) What are your favorites for that time period?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggest a Northern High Bush Blueberry?

I just planted 2 years ago, and it was damaged by my dog. So it is like a new plant as all canes but one were lost. I also moved it last winter. Anyway "Liberty". To Zone 4, developed by MSU. Balanced taste, big berries, heavy producer. I have ripening time between August and Semptember. Up to 8 feet tall. Also survived my dog and transplanting. Growing well with 4 new canes.

o

Isoh,
That's probably in the mid-late category.There are the two big berries,Chandler and (Darrow, which I like more).Rubel,kind of small,but with very good flavor.Sierra,I've only had for a short time,but like it so far and the old variety Jersey,which puts out a lot of canes and it's fruit is pretty good too,may ripen a little later than these others but well before Elliot. Brady

o

For me in zone 4, jersey starts to ripen as bluerop is in full swing.
good berries, more on the sweet end of the spectrum. strong production and easy to pick open clusters at cane ends

o

I planted Liberty because of the old saying "all gardening is local", and it was developed in this state. Ohio is close though! Bluejay was also developed by MSU.
I want to expand my blueberries in a few years and a lot of these mentioned sound great! Thanks all! I also have a Toro which has a good taste, nice plant! Spartan is also an early type that tastes decent. Darrow, Jersey, and the rest mentioned sound good too.

I was also thinking of trying some southern high bush as a couple are hardy to zone 6. Southmoon is one. A few growers I talked to say it's an exceptional tasting blueberry. To help pollinate maybe Sunshine Blue which is about the easiest blueberry to grow. Both can tolerate zone 6.
I would love to try Sweetcrisp, but I would have to protect in winter (zone 7b), so it would have to be grown in a pot, which from reports of texture and taste may well be worth doing. With southmoon and sunshine to help pollinate.

o

Thanks for sharing your ideas

o

I hope to expand my season starting with earlyblue, reka, olympia, northland, chandler and aurora.

o

Yeah marcus,that should cover about the whole spectrum. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here