Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden catalogs

Posted by Natures_Nature 5 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 0:37

I am trying to get my mini orchard(around 20 trees) and garden started next year. I currentely have no fruit trees. But, i do have my strawberries, grapes, and brambles already. You guys recommend any catalogs or anyplace I can get plants/seeds, organic sprays, anything for the orchard/garden?

Thanks,
Nature

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden catalogs

Well Adams County Nursery and Grandpa's Nursery both have excellent bare root fruit trees. Raintree Nursery, One Green World, Edible Landscaping have excellent products too, Trees, plants, you name it. For supplies various places.
I get most from Amazon or start there. Quality supplies at good prices. You can be fooled, prices seem a little higher, but many products have free shipping.
You have to look around. I just picked up 50 pounds of granite to make a gritty mix for under 7 dollars, free postage! One bag limit. Not at Amazon, from a tip in the container's forum.

o

Cooks Garden has some organic plants and seeds.Others to try are Jung,Gurneys and Territorial Seed. Brady

o

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Drew: i normally try not to comment on matters that are going to stray off topic, but you got my interest! What do you use the granite gritty mix for, a growing medium, or for trace nutrients, etc?

o

Yes a growing medium for cacti, and also for a long term potting mix. Most potting mixes break down after a couple of years. Al is famous in the container forum for his 5-1-1 mix, and his gritty mix (see link). But I have since decided to use pumice instead of grit granite. I may use the granite in my rock garden. Pumice used in bonsai mixes and other soil amendments used for bonsai seem a lot better than what Al has come up with. At least for cacti.

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's mixes

o

Drew51,

Pumice may be a good choice based on weight alone. I tried the gritty mix, 5-1-1 mix, and other organic mixes. I could barely move a 6.5 gallon container filled with the gritty mix. Now I use 14 gallon containers with a mix similar to the 5-1-1 mix. Those containers are too heavy for me to lift, but I can drag those 14 gallon containers easier than the 6.5 gallon gritty mix filled containers. That gritty mix is very heavy.

o

So, any more catalogs? What's the best catalogs you get in?

o

• Posted by campv 8b Arizona (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 17:59

Seed Savers Exchange
www.seedsavers.org
I order my seeds from them and the large catalogue is free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here