Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what was your favorite pluot?

Posted by Itheweatherman USDA 8b, Elevation 2 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 0:47

What was your favorite pluot of 2013?

My favorite pluot was flavor finale pluot, it was the most delicious piece of fruit that I ever tasted. It tasted like blend of the sweetest blueberries and raspberries ever grown on earth:).

Followed by: Dapple fire pluot (actually a peach x nectarine x plum hybrid), flavor grenade pluot, and finally flavor queen pluot.

And my favorite nectarine was Arctic Jay nectarine followed by Arctic queen nectarine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what was your favorite pluot?

Over the past few seasons, I've planted all 12 Pluots that are available for the home grower, ( just planted Dapple Supreme last week) Not all of them have produced yet, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Flavor Grenade. I really like the apple like crunchiness and love the flavor.

o

Flavor King... some of the last fruits of the season for me. I let them sit a few days inside and they were just fantastic. I can see why many like this one. Its very late here (mid/late Sept), but we did have a very cloudy/cool spring so everything was behind by probably 2 weeks. I also like Dapple Dandy. Beautiful fruits. I prefer red fleshed plums/pluots it would seem.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 15:11

Flavor Finale can be very good. But it can go from tart to mush in short order. Two years I've lost most of the fruit because I waited too long to harvest. It goes soft first on the tip but then the whole fruit can go soft very rapidly. When right it's one of the better pluot.

My favorites from earliest to latest are:

Flavor Supreme
Geo Pride
Flavor Grenade
Flavor King
Crimson Royale
Honey Punch
Flavor Treat

For a yellow pluot I like Emerald Drop better than Flavor Queen.

Dapple Dandy is OK but I don't especially like the flavor or texture and it's not very sweet. Some might like it picked early when still tart.

Splash is sweet but smallish and nothing special for flavor.

Varieties I tested but didn't like include Flavorosa, Flavor Royale, Ruby Kat, Flavor Heart, Black Kat, and Flavor Fall. All these have been discarded.

Like most fruit the eating quality can be more variable than one might imagine even on the same tree. I've had major differences in fruit off two trees the same year. Potted trees can have substantially different fruit than in-ground. So fruit bought in the store or at a farmers market doesn't tell one much about what you might grow yourself.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 20:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here