Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iliketonguyen

New peach trees for Texas released by Texas A&M

Anthony Nguyen
9 years ago

I tried looking in Gardenweb and there hasn't been any mention of these new peach/nectarine varieties released by texas a&m in 2014. Anyone know much about these varieties or have a preference for which one to get?

I got overly excited by Dave Wilson peach trees that are low chill but I'm 2nd guessing my self since I live in North Austin suburb which gets ~700 chill hours. I think my 100 chill hour Arctic Star, Eva's Pride and Mid Pride will bloom way too early with Austin's crazy weather. We had 2 weeks of freezing temperatures in November, and this December has been mild. I bet those peach trees would be blooming right now.

I think I will buy 2 of these texas peach varieties and plant them in 1 hole. Then do 3 of the low chill dave wilson trees in another hole and hope for no late freeze snaps every feb/march.

Peach, Flat Delight One
Peach, Flat Delight Two
Peach,White Delight Two
Peach, Royal Zest Three
Peach, White Zest One
Peach, Tropic Zest Four
Peach, TexFirst
Peach, TexPrince
Peach, TexKing

Nectarine, Smooth Texan Two
Nectarine, Smooth Texan Three
Nectarine, Smooth Zest One
Nectarine, Smooth Delight Two
Nectarine, Smooth Zest Two

Where to buy these trees
http://www.treetownusa.com/texam2.php

This link lists more information about each of the varieties
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/

Comments (20)

• insteng
    9 years ago

I really don't need anymore peaches but I might try a couple just to see how they do. It looks like they tested them right down the road from me so they should be good for the area.

• RobThomas
    9 years ago

I assume you are referring to the "White Delight" series of peaches. I think these were actually released last year. So, probably not much first hand experience with them yet.

I researched them last year. It seems the only difference in them is ripening times. All four are low acid, white peaches. Rusty Mangrum Nursery offered them last year. I was tempted to go there to pick some up, but I've already got more peaches than I need. Anyway, I just tried calling them to get more info, but got their voice mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rusty Mangrum Nursery

• Anthony Nguyen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rob I see that you are in zone 7. I dont know what zone you are in insteng. Would you not advise me to plant 100 chill hour eva pride and 250 chill hour mid pride peaches in my 750 hr chill zone area of Austin. Or do you have low chill peaches to that some how don't bloom too early?

• RobThomas
    9 years ago

nguyena, olpea would really be the best person to answer any specific questions about peaches. He's the peach guru around here, and has much more experience than I do. I'm sure he'll see this post and respond.

Also, I love the pics on your blog :)

• insteng
    9 years ago

I'm up in zone 8A near Buffalo. They grow a lot of peaches about 20-30 miles from me in Fairfield.

• Anthony Nguyen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rob! I really should update my blog. I've taken pictures since 2013, just been lazy/preoccupied to post it on the blog.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

It sounds like those peaches are bred for Texas conditions, e.g. heat resistance is his #1 criterion. I found the article below which describes the breeding program. David Byrne has been importing unusual peaches from overseas for breeding and I was interested to see if he used any of those varieties in his crosses.. I didn't find any info on what varieties he crossed.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• olpea
    9 years ago

"olpea would really be the best person to answer any specific questions about peaches. He's the peach guru around here, and has much more experience than I do. I'm sure he'll see this post and respond. "

Thank you for the compliment Rob. Unfortunately, I don't keep up much on lower chill peaches developed in Texas or Florida. I do have a few 500 hr. chill peaches (as it seems most flat peaches have lower chill requirements) but mostly I've tried to stay with more moderate (or greater) chill varieties more suited to the Midwest.

It does look like many of the new varieties nguyena mentioned are low acid. Low acid seems to be popular with peach breeders right now, but I'm not much of a fan of those type of peaches. I like lots of sugar in a peach, but also some "bite". That's what gives a peach an intense flavor in my book, high acid and high sugar.

I hate to compare a peaches this way (and I may get some push back from low acid peach fans) but a normal yellow peach is more like drinking a coca cola, where a low acid peach is more like eating cotton candy. Of course eating a fresh peach is substantially better than coca cola or cotton candy, but I'm just offering an analogy.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The white ones have much higher nutritional value than the yellow ones. Kind of the opposite of what you'd expect, but there it is. Reduced acidity is also useful to those of us who can't eat a lot of acidic foods.

• Audrey McDermott
    8 years ago

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm hoping that someone might have some experience with any of the newer Texas A&M peach varieties listed in the OP. If so, do you notice any improved disease/pest resistance over the standard varieties?

• garybeaumont_gw
    8 years ago

I planted a white delight two this spring. It did not get bacteria spot, but my other varieties did well also. Being in southeast Texas I plant disease resistant varieties out of Florida or LSU. It had no fruit so I do not know of the resistance to brown rot.

• Audrey McDermott
    8 years ago

Which varieties have the best combo of flavor and disease resistance for you? I'm in Dallas.

• Komal Balakrishnan
    8 years ago

I bought a red haven online and planted it a few months ago. Barely growing and leaves are droppy...is that normal?

• garybeaumont_gw
    8 years ago

Audrey, I have only had a couple of my trees produce a full crop yet. I
    hope my best tasting fruit will come from my Juneprince. Snow Queen
    nectarine did produce three nectarines and they had a good complex
    taste. My varieties would have too low of a chill requirement for
    Dallas. Scott f Smith rates the peaches according to taste and disease
    resistance. Brown rot is the worst. Type in Scott Smith peach ratings
    on this site and the topics will come up. He also has his own forum,
    just google Scott F Smith forum. The varieties you chose on the other
    link all looked good. I might try to find a place for Snow Queen
    nectarine. I comes off the first of June for me.
    Komal the
    vigor should be better but varies according to rootstock. Citation is a
    very slow growing rootstock. Nemaguard and Lovell has much better
    vigor. If planted in summer the trees can get stunted. Best to plant bare root trees in early to mid winter in Texas. Wet conditions can also slow and even kill peaches. What nursery did you order from?

• garybeaumont_gw
    8 years ago

Komal, sorry did not see you are from Houston until I clicked on profile. Red Haven has a chill hour requirement of 950 hours. It will not due well in the Houston area. If you can figure out what your chill hours is in Houston (varies from 100 to over 600), it would be better to get a tree with a lower chill requirement. Mid pride or Red Baron would probably be o.k. Slow growth is one symptom of not getting enough chill hours.

• Komal Balakrishnan
    8 years ago

Hmmm I ordered from fast growing trees online and said it was suited for my zone. Learned my lesson I guess. What is a good place to order from online? I have a large backyard so would like to order younger trees that are cheaper instead of paying $500+ to local nurseries.

• garybeaumont_gw
    8 years ago

I ordered from Vaughn nursery last year. Out of 10 trees 9 leafed out and grew. The trees were smaller but after shipping cost about $10 to 12 a tree. They have a limited supply this year due to crop failure. Shipping is about $30. I also ordered this year from Legg Creek Farm but have not received order yet. They are from Texas.

Higher cost but good reputation is Just Fruits and Exotics in Florida and Bay Laurel in California. Chestnut Hills tree farm also seems to be a good place for about $20 a tree plus $20 postage total.

I have a La Feliciana peach that has done well that you can find in most places that sell fruit trees.

I always check at http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/ to check on the online companies. Be careful about zones because a zone covers alot of area. Chill hours are a better reference but says nothing about disease resistance. I try to get trees from Texas A&M, LSU, and Florida since they have similar disease pressure. I get a range of chill hours between 350 to 750 chill hours. I also have some with 100 to 200 but they are in pots and I can bring them under the carport if there is some late frost.

• lkn1296
    6 years ago

Hi , I just found this post an this is exactly the question I have. Did anyone have the chance to grow this new Texas AM new white delight peach series ? Please share your experience and let me know where I can purchase this white peach or some scion . I contacted the nursery mentioned above and they don’t propagate it anymore. @anthonynguen, did u plant it and how are your peaches, I live in Dallas so maybe the weather is a somewhat similar . Thanks all

• garybeaumont_gw
    6 years ago

Womack nursery out of De Leon, Tx sells white delight peach. I think they have a minimum order of $60.00. They have a good reputation. I grew it
    and it produced one year. The next year I did not get enough chill hours and last year the Harvey flood killed it. It has a very mild taste that I did not care
    for. It did produce well and did not have any disease problems, but I do spray for brown rot. It did grow very pretty fruit.

Tropic Snow is a low chill white
    peach that has much better flavor. I have found it at Home Depot and Walmart.

• lkn1296
    6 years ago

Thank you garybeaumont for your reply