Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone have this pruning book?

Posted by Bradybb wa8 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 1:46

I saw this book on the Raintree Nursery website for about $23,but it can be bought used for about $10.It's entitled The American Horticultural Society Pruning & Training by Christopher Brickell and David Joyce.It received quite a few excellent reviews online.
I was wondering if people on this forum have looked at it and was or is it helpful?To me,$10 is not a bad deal,but I guess the library might be a place to peruse it first. Brady

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone have this pruning book?

DITTO THAT

GOOD BOOK

o

I have it. Bought it on Amazon for $15-20 for a new paperback.

Good book. Get it.

o

Okay,thanks a lot.

o

Christopher Brickell and David Joyce are both British and this is essentially a Royal Society book. I have it and enjoy the many training methods which are a little different, but always keep in mind it is from a UK perspective. Al

o

I remember this book from years ago and as I recall it is close to useless in figuring how to prune fruit trees.

o

H-man,

Could you please expand on "I recall it is close to useless in figuring how to prune fruit trees."?

I am about to order this book on line but I do value your opinion. Thank you.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 21:28

There's also this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moulton Pruning Video, with User Commentary

o

Yes,thanks bboy.I saw that on Raintree's site also.I attended one of Gary's pruning workshop's earlier last year at Raintree's day of classes.He's very knowledgeable. Brady

o

Pruning is a very complex topic, one could easily write an entire book about pruning apple trees alone, partially because every apple variety has their own growth habit. A book written for general pruning of all woody perennials would have to be an encyclopedia to adequately address the issues of pruning fruit plants.

When I was trying to really understand pruning I found books such as Harris's book, "Arboriculture" on Prentice Hall far more useful in helping me understand the underlying principles of pruning than an illustrated "how to" book such as the one we are discussing.

Develop a basic understanding of tree physiology first of all. There are some free sources of this kind of info including this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: physiology of pruning fruit trees

o

Thanks for responding harvestman and for including the link.I don't know if there is a one size fits all book or teaching aid.If there is,I haven't found it.But from a number of different sources,I think things can be gleaned that are helpful. Brady

o

Also, some people are better adapted to a visual guide while others need conceptual guidance. However an all purpose book about pruning all plants can only take you so far.

NAFEX has a free library for members which includes many old pruning books for fruit production. For the price of postage you can read about pruning all winter.

o

Thank you H-man for your responses and the link.

I'd also like to thank others for their input here.

I only have a few fruit trees and feel that pruning is quite complicated. To me, it's the most difficult part of growing fruit trees.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 23:48

mamuang, pruning and tending to full sized trees is an absolute nightmare. If you commit to pruning to maintain smaller sized trees from the outset, you will develop mad pruning skills very quickly. Pruning will eventually become second nature for you over time, whereas grafting takes a bit more skill.

o

OJT - learn by pruning XD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here