Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

Training dwarf trees

alan haigh
9 years ago

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-360.html

Browsing around the internet I stumbled on this short piece that is relevant to a recent discussion about heading as part of the training process for dwarf apple trees. It is the most succinct explanation of first year management I found.

Comments (7)

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

I have seen this. but keep in mind that this is very suitable for high density apple orchard management, and may not suit other situation. with this system, no heading is needed and the trees will fill in with low branches when they get mature, in a couple of years.

I grow mostly semi dwarf trees and several varieties, apple, pear, peach, etc, so I do not think I am going to train my trees this way. most likely close to the tradtional training method.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Thanks Hman. The training of apple trees is way different than other trees. Did you note the irrigation suggestion?
    Not like NC is a dry place either.

• alan haigh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drew, I've always read that dwarf trees require irrigation in all parts of the country. I've even seen 15 year old trees on M26 completely runted out because of a lack of irrigation at a small commercial orchard where I prune and consult. This is one reason I don't grow them in my nursery.

Don't think that because I often don't flood in transplants that I underestimate the need for water, especially for establishing trees- on any root stock.

Redsun, I don't think that this is very different from training a tree to a basic central leader besides leaving a greater number of branches. Upper branches still need to be cycled in and out and excessive diametered branches need removal.

Tall spindle seems to be the actual method of choice as far as Cornell is concerned, but initial training is not all that different there either. The final shape is simply more a rectangle and a bit taller and thinner, I believe.

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

Thanks Hman. This system seems like it would benefit a person like me who has a limited area for fruit growing. Another plus is that fruit production is earlier.

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

"... dwarf trees require irrigation..." - harvestman

Isn't that one of the reasons for using mm111 roots with a dwarf interstem?

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

To me, the tall spindle or the vertical axis systems are very different from the traditional central leader.

The tall spindle trains trees to grow taller, due to the limited orchard space or high density. The dwarf trees can reach mature size very quickly, due to early large tree size and fertilization. Then heavy summer pruning comes to place. Then branches (no scaffolds are trained) are pruned to renew new fruiting wood. In some sense, this is like grape vine renewing. You cut off the old wood and grow new wood to set fruits.

The traditional central leader, or modified central leader, trains major scaffolds which are kept for life. Trees are allowed to grow wider, then central leader topped at some time to keep the height. Pruning is not that so aggressive.

• alan haigh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is one reason, but the result is something like M26 with better anchorage and presumably better ability to survive drought.