Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doreirei

Frostbite� Malus �MN 447' Apple

JGlass
9 years ago

I just recently found out about the Frostbite� Malus �MN 447' Apple, but there is little to no information online I can find about it.
I am in zone 7B of alabama, and would very much like to grow it but would it do well if it can make it? Can anyone else name another apple that is super sweet?

This post was edited by JGlass on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 11:39

Comments (6)

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Sansa is extremely sweet and not hard to grow here, precocious, reliably annual, easy to prune, everyone I know who has tried it likes it a lot if they like any sweet. Also Fuji, of course, and there are now early strains that are almost identical that ripen a month before original strain. Fuji certainly does well in warm climates and is not a particularly difficult apple to grow. Here it tends to be biennial but farther south , not so much.

I'm not at all familiar with southern heirlooms, but I'm sure there must be some that would nicely fill the bill.

• valgor
    9 years ago

i would contact the university if Minnesota, as i believe that is were Frostbite is used in developing newer varieties (grandparent to Honeycrisp) It is listed for zones 3-7 so there is a chance it may work for you, but i would figure it would be pushing the chilling hours requirement. A great apple, though not for everyone, so maybe worth a chance for next year if you can't find a more definitive answer. good luck.

• JGlass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have Fuji, red delicious, granny smith, honeycrisp, winsape,yellow delicious,Johnathan,yates that I planted this year, but was looking for something really sweet, frostbite was at the top, I'll look into sansa though thanks. Banana apple and strawberry apple ones also peaked my interest but find little info on or venders.
    Up for more info if anyone else knows anything.

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

JGlass. The Winter Banana you mentioned is a fairly sweet apple. My one tree of it is in a large container on Bud9 root. The Mollie apple is another one that I have that is sweet. Good Luck, Bill

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Jglass...I wonder if it has any of the Honeycrisp texture? If it did I'd be interested in it too. I'm thinking it probably doesn't as I think Minnestoa was unaware of it's connection to Honeycrisp initially. I think it was only discovered after DNA mapping revealed it's parentage.

I just done some searching and here is Fedco's description:

Frostbite Apple Fall-Winter. MN 447. Unknown parentage. U Minn, 2007. Seed planted at the University of Minnesota before 1936, but unnamed until 2008. This massively flavored dessert apple��"not for the faint of heart��"provides a whole new level of culinary experience. Likely the most distinctive and unusual apple weâÂÂve ever tried. Described as tasting like molasses or even sugar cane. The fall dessert apple that we most look forward to on our farm. We love it! The roundish fruit is medium-sized and dark bluish-purple. The aromatic crisp crystalline flesh is an apricot-orange color with occasional red staining. So juicy itâÂÂll run down your hand. Extremely hardy, productive and reliable. Annually bearing. Not recommended for warmer districts. Blooms early midseason. Z3-6.

JGlass...sounds like this apple may be a bit cold-blooded for you. Of course, if the much promoted (on this forum) global cooling is such a sure bet, you might be ok. I like the idea of this apple and may order some wood from it. Molasses and sugar cane sounds a bit much for me though.

• JGlass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found most of the info listed so far but hulsnursery,ecbrown,Wallace sites list zone 7 along with some others, but some list 6 as well. So that's why I was confused on that conflicting info. Thanks everyone whose replied so far.

This post was edited by JGlass on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 18:20