Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvest dates for mulberries?

Posted by lsoh 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 8:42

When do Mulberries ripen? Specific knowledge of Illinois Everbearing, Girardi Dwarf, or Kokuso would be even more helpful. I'm in Northern Ohio zone 5 or 6, depending upon which map you use. But if you are in a different zone, it might be helpful if you could tell me harvest dates relative to other fruits. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvest dates for mulberries?

Zone 6, southern west-central KY here - about 70 mi NW of Nashville, TN. Illinois Everbearing produces for about 6 weeks, from early June to mid-July.
Not sure about Kokuso - just have a branch or two of it grafted into a fenceline M.alba, and it's only been fruiting for a year or two, so I don't have a good handle on it.

o
RE: Harvest dates for mulberries?

I think most of the variation in ripening times is along species lines, leaving most named cultivars grown in northern climates ripening around the same time, late June being the heart of mulberry season in every climate I've picked them (central valley of CA, desert SW, NE states, CO foothills). That said, Morus alba tends to ripen earliest (May in many places)and Morus nigra the latest(typically into August).

I've been wanting I.E. for a long time, but now that my Black Beauty M. nigras have come into bearing it's hard for me to get motivated to buy any other mulberries, since the latter is so much better than everything else I've tasted! It's also more cold hardy than most sources claim, but may need more sun and heat than Northern and Eastern locations have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here