Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ribes restrictions

Posted by scottfsmith 6B-7A-MD (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 8:53

It looks like white pine blister rust is rearing its ugly head again. The disease has recently been found on some supposedly resistant varieties. There is now a moratorium on planting currants and gooseberries in some New England states (NH and maybe others) and there may be more restrictions coming down the pipe. See article below..

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: NH Ribes Moratorium

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ribes restrictions

This is bad news since I love currants, gooseberries, and healthy pine trees.

o

My understanding of the problem is that the fungal biology of the white pine blister rust needs to be better understood. Perhaps the breakdown of resistance is due to the presence of new fungal strains. Plant breeding efforts will need to accompany better knowledge of the white pine blister rust organism to create new resistant cultivars of pine, currants, and gooseberries. I will monitor my presence plantings of currants and gooseberries and will destroy the plants and the first site of any fungal infection. There are many beautiful and stately pine trees in close proximity that I want to see stay healthy for many decades into the future.

o

Jostaberries are said to be resistant to this rust. I did not see any mention of them in the article. Hopefully they're not included.

o

Jostaberries are ribes so they are included unfortunately. The whole problem is that in this survey they found rust on resistant varieties.

I have never seen any rust on my ribes, but I will continue to look carefully.

Scott

o

It seems odd that this fungus is restricted to Ribes and Pinus which are very different from each other. I wonder why other plants are not known to be hosts.

o

As I recall, the restrictions in NY were based largely on a thriving white pine lumber industry that has since been reduced to economic insignificance. I believe it is still an important industry in NH.

o

The relationship has other parallels. Look at Cedar-Apple rust.

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here