Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
techmaster_gw

Strangled a twig/branch on young pear tree

techmaster
9 years ago

I'm new to growing fruit trees, so I'm not sure of the terminology. I planted 2 young pear trees in my back yard about a month ago. A Baldwin Pear and a Flordahome Pear. I staked them with some gardening twine to train the trunks to grow straight, and I also used some stakes and twine to start pulling the few branches down parallel to the ground. The two trees were sent to me bare root, and they pruned them before shipping as well. The Baldwin only has one branch, and the Flordahome has 2. On one of the branches, right where I had the twine goes around it, from that point to the end of the branch, the branch has started to darken. I pulled the twine looser on that branch, and moved it much closer to the end of the branch, to see if it makes a difference.

I'm not sure if I killed the branch, or not. I'm thinking that now that I've taken the twine off that branch, I'll give it a few days to see if it starts getting some color back. If not, I may have to prune that branch off. I'm hoping it's not fire blight, but it can't be a coincidence that the branch loses its color right where I had the twine. I'm hoping that I didn't do any permanent damage, and that the branch will come back to life. Maybe I should water the tree a bit, to get the sapwood to pump some nutrients up to that branch. Am I doing the right thing?

I guess I need to find something softer to wrap around the tree. The guy at the gardening store told me that this gardening twine would be perfect, but I think I may need something softer, at least at the point where it wraps around the trees. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

Comments (3)