Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabaceae_native

best deal on pomegranate plants?

fabaceae_native
10 years ago

I've done some research already, but am just wondering if I can skip some of it by asking what everyone thinks is the best deal on pomegranate plants on the internet.

Locally I can only get the variety 'Wonderful' but am looking for an early-ripening variety such as 'Angel Red', 'Granada', 'Sweet', 'Eversweet', or 'White'. I'd like to find the best size for the money, since I'm planning on buying a number of plants...

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks...

Comments (15)

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Wonderful and Angel Red have been a great combination for me. I can't speak to mail order, but you may want to check with local retailers that carry L.E Cooke trees. I can't remember which of the big box stores carry them, but that is how I got my Angel Red tree, and for cheap.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

I doubt you will find cheaper than Green Sea farms pom prices...I think they are $15 for a nice 1 gallon plant and they have 140 or so varieties? Shipping is going to kill you though. Why not just start them from cuttings? It would be a lot cheaper for you. If you want details shoot me an email.

• RobThomas
    10 years ago

Rolling River has an incredible selection. Price is not bad at $20 each. I've never bought from them, but they have an excellent Watchdog rating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolling River

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I second Rolling River Nursery. Here is a pic of two pomegranates I got from RR in early May 2012.

Left- Granada
    Right- Red Silk

They are in 4x4x10" pots.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Bob,

I mean no offense but those are rather sad looking poms. These are the poms I got from the University of Florida. They were part of a study...$4 each. The ones I got from Green sea were shorter but thicker but can't find the picture.

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 19:18

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

Bamboo Rabbit,

The plants you got look pretty nice, but I suspect a big part of the difference is that they are fully leafed out. Mine were probably just starting to leaf out when starting their week-long trip across the country. So, the initial growth is probably a little pale. Each had nice root systems and multiple stems (not something I'd want in a tree, but it seems OK in a bush).

Regrettably, I never recorded my notes on their size (the scribbled notes must have never been transcribed into my digital records). But, I believe they were pretty tall- in the 3-4' range. Just eyeballing it, that seems similar to the pictures you have.

Here's a bare root Salavatski pom I got about 2 weeks ago from Isons ($30). It measured just over 48" tall, 3/4" caliper at the base, and had a nice root system.

• fabaceae_native
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments so far. I wondered about Rolling River, but was hoping to find something cheaper. I know I can't be too picky with mail order, but just over $20 usually gets me a five gallon tree locally (though the cultivar selection is always less than ideal of course).

Bamboo_rabbit: your cutting suggestion is probably the best, but I'm still demoralized after having zero success with a cuttings order from the USDA last spring. I've had success with rooting pomegranate before and I know it is pretty simple, so I was surprised and very bummed with the failure. I'd still need some plants to start with though...

Thanks again...

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Fabacae,

I know Green Sea also sells liners which would be cheap to buy and ship. They may also sell cuttings. Btw I have no connection with them....I did drive down and buy some poms from them and the plants were A+.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I bought my angle red poms from Willis Orchards. They were small but arrived on time and only priced at $9.95 + shipping, etc. I bought my russian pomegramates from edible landscape. The prices are even better for the smaller plants, from $7.00 up.

• john222-gg
    10 years ago

This might not count where you live. I live in zone 8 close to the beach and have a wonderful pom it freezes back almost every year and stays stunted. Am giving up this year. Hope you have better luck.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

John,

They do have cold hardy poms......most of which taste as good or better than Wonderful and are much more hardy. In a protected spot you can get fruit even in zone 6.

• Chris-7b-GA
    10 years ago

Another source for pomegranates to consider is Chestnut Hill Tree Farm in Florida. They are a true grower that sells to the public. I went there to pick up some beautiful 15 gallon persimmons but while I was there I picked up this 1 gallon Fleishman variety. The tree is nearly 6 feet tall. Not sure about there shipping costs, but it was more tree for the money than what I got from Green Sea last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fleishman Pomegranate

• fabaceae_native
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the suggestions. Definitely the pomegranates from Chestnut Hill Tree Farm look like the best deal, since they are gallon-size for 12.95 and shipping seems to be about $22 for one or many (I'm sure it jumps up to a higher rate eventually, but not for the number I need).

Unfortunately CHTF only has one of the varieties I'm looking for (Eversweet). I may consider Salavatski too, it's cold hardiness being a plus for my area, but early ripening is still my most important criterion. I will be planting the pomegranates outside along the south side of an adobe wall, which will support a plastic covering for the plants during the winter. This setup should add a zone or two to my 6b, and hopefully allow me to get fruit eventually. Up until now I have grown them in pots and enjoyed the fruit, but had only Wonderful, which is late ripening and some fruit did not mature before leaf fall/hard frost.

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

I have gotten very nice plants from Green Sea and from Rolling Rock. Edible Landscaping has small plants for cheap prices; their larger ones are very good but I have not tried their smaller ones yet.

I hope the 4F expected tonight doesn't do in any of my new plants; I may throw a cover on them.

Scott

• eagle7
    10 years ago

I live in Vista CA, so I'm surrounded by great nurseries. Don't know if they sell online but Clausen's Nursery (outside Vista, CA) sold me gorgeous White and Sweet pomegranate plants. Exotica Rare Fruit Nursery (also outside Vista) has an unbelievable selection of pomegranate varieties and the owner (Steve) knows a lot about pomegranates. If I were you, I'd give him a call.
    Good luck! Don't know if they handle cold well, but I love Utah Sweet and King, both are sweet and earlier than Wonderful.
    Peace.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner