Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fungus on jujube

Posted by john222-gg ms./8 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 10:31

I have a small orchard with all kinds of fruit trees.I spray peaches,apples,plums,pears with fungicides but never sprayed my jujubes with any thing.Now I am having a problem with this on my trees.Will fungicide clear up this problem? or what should I do? all help will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fungus on jujube

Will fungicide clear up this problem? or what should I do? all help will be appreciated.

==>>> well.. first you need an ID ... and i cant focus on your pic..

i would suggest you look into lichens or mosses ...

if lichens.. which appear to be a fungus.. then in theory a fungicide should work ... IF labeled for such ...

i dont think moss is a fungus .. so .. no.. a fungicide wont work ...

all that said.. what if any impact is it having on your tree ... many of these things are.. and of course.. the scientific name is escaping me ... kinda like children.. oh.. gotta love wiki: a photosynthetic partner (the photobiont or phycobiont) growing together in a symbiotic relationship.

closeup pic???

ken

o

I am pretty sure it is lichen, which is not typically harmful to trees. If it were me, I wouldn't spray anything or stress out about it.

-Brett

o

Do you have a county agricultural agent. If so, ask him to identify it.

o

When it comes to Fungus amd its devastation to my trees my theory is spraying if it does not help it would not hurt anything. I start fungi spray program now in winter and keep doing it until the petal fall with DACONIL after that i use SPECTRACIDE and depending on the humidity and heat I do it weekly or semiweekly on all my fruit trees even figs.. on some fruit trees I use copper. Fungus is fruit tree enemy # one.

o

I apreshate the answers I will see if fungicide will clear it up thanks for caring.

o

Looks like you've got a combination of lichens and 'ball moss', an epiphyte related to Spanish Moss - Google it up.

o

lucky_p,

Wow, this is interesting. I learn so much from just perusing here. Of course, here in Colorado it's so dry that I have never heard of such a thing before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here