Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferp110

Fruiting Plum tree problem

jenniferp110
11 years ago

I have a fruiting plum tree I planted a couple years ago. Last spring I noticed white fuzzy spots on the branches and trunk (turned red when touched). It didn't seem to bother the tree much but the spots did grow. I thought aphids but I never noticed any sap coming out and I looked very closely but never saw any of the move. Now, the white spots have turned into harder spots I can scrape off the bark. There are also small conical growths on the ground under the tree that seem to hold some sort of black seed. Also, a few spots on the braches have split (not sure if it's related as we had a very hot, dry summer last year). I started spraying a neem oil solution that says it fixes fungal and pest problems on fruit trees. But, if these are aphids, should I also apply a systemic insecticide to try to save the tree? I only want to do this is absolutely necessary, as I try to stick to organic gardening as much as possible. None of my other trees are affected. I've attaches a couple pics - not super clear but they'll give you and idea of what it looks like. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments (3)