Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruiting Plum tree problem

Posted by jenniferp110 VA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 10:36

I have a fruiting plum tree I planted a couple years ago. Last spring I noticed white fuzzy spots on the branches and trunk (turned red when touched). It didn't seem to bother the tree much but the spots did grow. I thought aphids but I never noticed any sap coming out and I looked very closely but never saw any of the move. Now, the white spots have turned into harder spots I can scrape off the bark. There are also small conical growths on the ground under the tree that seem to hold some sort of black seed. Also, a few spots on the braches have split (not sure if it's related as we had a very hot, dry summer last year). I started spraying a neem oil solution that says it fixes fungal and pest problems on fruit trees. But, if these are aphids, should I also apply a systemic insecticide to try to save the tree? I only want to do this is absolutely necessary, as I try to stick to organic gardening as much as possible. None of my other trees are affected. I've attaches a couple pics - not super clear but they'll give you and idea of what it looks like. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruiting Plum tree problem

i will yell ...

NEVER ...===>>> EVER <<<==== USE A SYSTEMIC ON A TREE YOU PLAN TO EAT THE FRUIT OFF OF ...

if i think i see what i see.. google 'scale on plum' ...

if its only that one branch.. dead center.. just cut that branch off ...

horticultural oil is the best treatment .. but the key is timing it to perfection.. when the babes are out and moving.. otherwise known a crawlers ...

in winter.. all you have is a dead mom.. who is impervious to treatment.. and hiding her eggs under ... the oil will have no impact right now ...

when they crawl out.. they are not hard.. and the oil suffocates them .. but if you miss the few days they are able to be killed.. well.. you find some other way to go after them on fruit ...

opps.. i am in the fruit forum.. i will defer to the more experienced.. if i said anything wrong ...

i would probably prune out the badly mangled branch also ...

ken

ps: i gave up on plum years ago.. due to black knot.. gummosis.. and scale .. there are some fruit trees.. that jsut arent worth the bother ... IMHO ...

o

Prune those small branches by the trunk to 'open center' pruning (and it looks like you have it started that way). Allowing as much light to the base of the inside branches controls Fungus naturally.

o

That stuff is white peach scale. My treatment is put on gloves, rub the bark to rub all of it off that you can get, then spray oil. I found that oil alone would not get rid of it all but the combo of rub and spray worked well.

I don't think neem is strong enough to kill serious pests. But all you need is oil for the scale.

The split bark could be canker, the white peach scale is more likely to appear on unhealthy trees. I would read up on bacterial canker and keep your eyes peeled for symptoms.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here