Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Get Too Many Fruits?

Not counting commercial growers, it seems a lot of folks here grow more than 20 fruit trees. When the trees set full crops, after 5th year or so, you'll probably get more than you can consume on a regular basis.

I know we can make juice, preserve them, freeze them, store them (like apples and pears), and give away some to friends. But when the trees reach 10th year, there may be just too many.

Then do you sell the fruits? Or we'll probably replace some of the trees before they mature, and this is never a problem? I see folks buy and re-plant new trees every year....

Just curious....

Comments (17)

• fireballsocal
    9 years ago

I am looking forward to that problem here. I have 10 in the ground now and am adding another 11 this spring with more to come after that. Aside from giving fruit away to anyone I can force it on, there are co-ops here that sell organic or fresh produce boxes. They offer to take care of peoples trees in exchange for harvesting the fruit for use in their produce boxes. I would still prune and maintain my trees but may allow them to harvest if the fruit gets to be to big of a burden. My trees will all be kept at 7 foot or shorter (BYOC style) so I hope to keep fruit set manageable by me but the co-op is plan B.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Gleaner groups will take fruit for the hungry/homeless.

Here is a link that might be useful: gleaner groups

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I'm starting to lean towards grafting cultivars on existing trees, as you say how many of any one kind do you need?

• Steve357
    9 years ago

I'm looking forward to that problem as well. I started my backyard orchard 5 years ago, and now I have about 60 trees. I'm going to start drying some and maybe trying my hand at making wine, Pluot wine does sound good!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Steve, you're going to need a tester for that wine, and I'm available!
    Yeah I made my own chili powder, cayenne powder, and paprika this year. that was a lot of fun! I though need to buy a better dehydrator. Mine is very old, it was my dad's. Not sure what brand, the thing is in bad shape, but worked OK for drying peppers. The fan stopped working, so with fruit it tended to burn.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

60 trees, that is a lot.

I'm setting up two rows of grape vines, most of them wine grapes. I think there will never be enough grapes when making wines.

But tree fruits are different. There will be some limit we can consume, cooking, jelly, sauce, etc....

I probably do not know what to do if I have 60 mature fruit trees....

• glib
    9 years ago

Obviously apple cider vinegar. It has so many health benefits (if unfiltered), I use it daily and make my own, directly fermenting discarded fruits (it is mostly apples, but other ground fruits find their way in it. Get a wide mouth demijohn for the task). I would trade any excess for meat or eggs, if possible, but it is not out of the question to get pigs, and fatten them on fruit. The can live directly in the orchard if it is fenced.

• johnthecook
    9 years ago

I have about 25 apple trees and all I would have to do is invite the neighbors for an apple picking day and problem is solved. Also the local food banks love fresh veggies and fruit.

• Steve357
    9 years ago

60 trees does sound like a lot I know. I have most of them in a 50'x100' area at the back of my property. I keep them under 8' tall and there is plenty of room for more! My orchard is still young, the fruit ripen at different times (there is overlap) My goal is to have a bunch of fresh fruit from May-Dec. I have gone overboard, but it's a fun hobby,

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

For me I really don't have any interest in producing for others. I just want enough for my family; It's also for me an economic thing, The time and money for maintaince. I would rather spend it on growing something else. Beans, corn, melons, as many different herbs as possible etc. That is how I expand this hobby. If I want to grow more things, I'll grow more of something else. Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc. The list is endless. For me that works better than having 10 apple trees. I don't like them that much.Maybe 10 cultivars on a few trees, now that makes sense to me.

• glib
    9 years ago

I think the economic aspect is there for everyone. If you have a large family, or family nearby, or you can trade, it is a good idea to grow more. Otherwise it is a bad idea, more work for nothing.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

They can be used to feed animals if they are damaged. You can make cider, wine, vinegar, dried apples etc etc. In my community If I grow fruit something will consume it and no fruit will go to waste. This is the bread basket so fruit here is valuable.

• MrClint
    9 years ago

Keep the trees small, thin your fruit and plan for successive ripening so that there is very little overage.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Steve what part of Nor Cal are you? Citrus will add fruit for you in the winter months if you still have room...

• northwoodswis4
    9 years ago

According to the typical fruit-bearing schedules, I should have fruit coming out of my ears, but not everything has panned out like advertised, plus we have had some late frost years. We have been inundated with strawberries, but otherwise have had no excess yet. Don't count your chickens before they hatch! About the time your kids leave home so there are just the two of you, or when you get layed off from your job and have to move, then the trees will produce like crazy! Northwoodswis

• Steve357
    9 years ago

I live in the foothills near Chico. Aside from one mandarine tree in a sheltered corner of my yard..... citrus and avocados don't work here, they always freeze and die.

• Steve357
    9 years ago

For me, having 60 plus trees has been quite simple.........I'm the one that has the pruning shears, I win 100 time out of 100.